Four

(Sock's POV)

Things were finally going my way. I had Jonathan wrapped around my finger. I gave my 9 to 5 schedule a big ol' middle finger because tonight, Jonathan was in a good mood. A very good mood. He walked into his bedroom with his phone to his ear, laughing.

"Listen, Aunt Lola, I'll write soon." He smiled, before hanging up the phone. He threw it on his bed and closed his door before I felt his arms being thrown around me.

He hugged me like that for a while. He was shivering, though, so I zipped up his jacket. I also draped my sweater vest on his shoulders and placed my hat on his head. He looked up at me and gave me the biggest smile I've seen in a while.

"Warm now, Jonny?"

He didn't take his arms off me. I dug my face in his shoulder and cried tears of joy. I've never been so close to somebody in my life. Well, my afterlife.

As I floated back to Mephistopheles' office, I was dancing around while the butterflies in my stomach went wacko. And I thought having the hots for Jonathan would be painful..

I take that back. There was one pain. A big one.

"What the hell are you doin', Sowachowski? You gonna make him stab himself in his sleep or somethin'?"

For the first time since we'd met, Mephistopheles was angry. He had a look that said, "Do as I say or I'll throw you out there with the network executives." That's the last thing I need..

"I like him, okay?!" I cried. Mephistopheles was shocked. "I don't know how to kill him!"

"Just make it happen or you're fired!"

I watched the door slam. My gaze dropped and a single tear fell to the floor. I had to do it, someway, somehow, or I'll be in all the brimstone and fire and suffering for all eternity.

Jonathan finally opened the refrigerator door. I smiled up at him.

"Hey hot stuff, see somethin' ya like?" I smirked at him, pointing both of my thumbs at myself. Before I could do anything he reached into the fridge, grabbed me by my sweater vest and pulled my face up to his. He didn't hesitate for even the slightest second as he slammed our lips together.