five

The soft splatter of rain on the roof wakes me from the dreamless sleep I'd been having.

A somewhat heavy weight around my waist causes me to open my eyes. I notice an arm draped around my middle and immediately recognise it as Peeta's. I can tell due to the few splatters of left ink and scars that litter the forearm.

From behind me, I feel him stir as his body weight shifts and the arm around me is removed. I sigh slightly as the touch was quite comforting to say the least.

Rolling over, I utter a quiet "Good morning" and smile when faced with a messy haired Peeta who rubs his eyes and smiles back.

"Morning to you too," he mutters huskily before proceeding to stand and exit the bedroom.

I lay my head back down on the pillow and trust that he will be back. 10 minutes later, with still no return, I swing my legs off the side of the bed and make my way downstairs.

I am greeted by the sight of Peeta, cooking breakfast as he usually does. But this morning something stirs inside of me and I find my current view much more appealing than I have previously.

After noticing my stares, Peeta's cheeks turn a soft pink and bites his lip before continuing. "Thank you for letting me stay in your room last night, Katniss. I really appreciate it."

"It's no worries, honestly Peeta," I reply, "it's the least I could do for you considering you cook for me."

He smiles before placing a plate on the breakfast bar in front of me. It holds a perfectly made omelette. I thank Peeta as I sit down and we exchange small talk over the delicious breakfast.

The apparent rain subsides too, with the sun once again shining through the windows and casting a heavenly glow upon Peeta.

As we finish our meal, Peeta clears his throat and stutters a little before saying, "So Katniss, there's something I've been meaning to tell you for a little while but I wasn't sure how you'd react."

"What is it?" I question, suddenly anxious about this news Peeta has.

"I'm still in love with you. Or I've fallen back in love. Either way I cannot go another day without wrapping you in my arms and telling you all the reasons I'm lucky to even breathe the same air as you."

Immediately after saying this, I am surged with emotions and feelings but at least one thing is clear to me. I can finally say that I feel the same.

Walking up to Peeta, he envelops me in his arms- all previous nerves around each other and tension disappearing entirely.

"Maybe," I think, "just maybe, I might finally have a shot at this true love thing."

-
okay so it's a long time coming but NEW CHAPTER YAY

I've been meaning to post this for ages by homework and exams have been consuming my life :/

as always, thank you so much for reading and message me d you want to know anything!

pizzamxllark x