seven

"No. This isn't a good time Haymitch."

-

Peeta's arms remove themselves from around my figure and his entire body stiffens. I take a step away from the boy and turn around immediately.  Haymitch is standing in the entrance and I can tell he is beyond annoyed. His arms are folded over his chest and a scowl is plastered on his face.

"Nice of you to leave during our little chat, sweetheart."

"I wasn't interested in hearing any more of it."

"I guessed that much. I might be old but I'm not stupid."

"That depends on who you ask."

My last comment causes Haymitch to roll his eyes. He unfolds his arms and places them on his hips.

"Look. I just came to see if you got home safe enough and didn't run off into the forest again like you have done on more than one occasion. I really don't want to have to send for another search party."

After saying that, Haymitch exits the kitchen and turns for the front door. He stops in the doorframe and gives me one last glance before walking to who knows where. I shrug my shoulders and turn back to face Peeta.

"What was that all about?" he asks, confusion etched into his expression.

"Let's just say I interrupted our meal by walking out." I say.

Peeta nods knowingly before laughing quietly to himself. He shuffles his weight from foot to foot and then clears his throat before saying,

"Look, Katniss they want me to check out a building site because the people in charge might be building a new bakery to replace my parents'..." he begins before quickly adding, "if you don't want me to go that's fine I can stay here and make sure you're okay if that's what you want."

"Yeah of course you can go! You didn't have to ask my permission Peeta. It's okay, honestly. It's not like I could stop you from going anyway." I blurt out, without properly thinking about it.

Seemingly unalarmed by my outburst, Peeta smiles and quickly dashes about the house. He packs up a few items into a somewhat tattered satchel, which I was unaware he owned, including his notebook and a pencil alongside his apron. Eerily similar to Haymitch, he stops in the doorframe and smiles at me before pushing open the door. I then realize that I am alone in the house once again.

After countless minutes pacing around my Victors Village home, I take a seat on the sofa in the common room and switch on the television. I am still unsure of how to configure this technology, Peeta usually changes the image on screen to something entertaining at night when all conversation has dried up. Which isn't that common as of lately, I realize.

Caesar Flickerman's somewhat plastic face appears on the screen, this time his hair is colored a bright orange and his skin still retaining that same glow it has had for at least 10 years. A notably fake demeanor is plastered on his face as he addresses what are known as 'headlines'. The entire show is mind numbing and I sink further into the chair until I am awoken from my daze by the mention of a certain baker's name. Sitting upright, I turn the volume up - which is one of the only things I do know how to do - and feel myself engrossed.

"Capitol favorite and winner of the 74th annual Hunger Games, Peeta Mellark, has gone missing from his dwellings in our wonderful area. A search has been conducted to rescue one of our favorite young people. If you have seen Mellark in the past 48 hours or have any information regarding his whereabouts please contact your District leaders immediately. This is urgent as he is required here in the Capitol."