eight

Sunlight filters annoyingly through the gap between the curtains. Peeta's sleeping, unaffected by the annoying ray of light that's hitting my face. Peeta stirs slightly and his face twists in pain, probably from the cuts. I'm yet to figure out how he got them. I stare for a little while longer until Peeta fully comes to. He smiles at me and drags me out of the bed and into the kitchen, much to my dismay.

We shower separately and dress for the day's activities - of which I still am unsure of. Peeta tells me that a visit to Haymitch for him is long overdue, after that going in to the little surgery they built here where his doctor is visiting for the week. Authorities and medical professionals all rushed to the District after Peeta's attack yesterday, I believe.

After Peeta shuts the door behind him and feeling somewhat lonely, i decide to visit Effie and ask her about what i saw on the news yesterday. Caesar Flickerman's sickly sweet voice still filters through my mind, replaying itself.

'Capitol favorite and winner of the 74th annual Hunger Games, Peeta Mellark, has gone missing from his dwellings in our wonderful area.'

Knocking on the door, Effie welcomes me with a warm embrace. She motions for me to come inside and i follow her into the living area and take a seat next to her on the couch. She disappears into what i assume is the kitchen. I haven't visited in a while, which i guess is why i feel so disoriented.

Random thoughts swirl around my head but a particular one seems to be the most prominent. That news report. Why would they let Peeta come home and then send want to find him again? Shouldn't they know where he is? But what if they didn't let him out? But how would he have crossed the border?

"What's the matter, Katniss?" she asks after setting down a cup of hot chocolate next to me.

"I was watching the news yesterday and there was something on there about Peeta..."

Effie's eyes widen as she inhales sharply. As if looking for someone, she glances around the room and pulls me into another room. I take a seat on the bed. This room appears to be her bedroom.

"Katniss there's things that even I do not know," Effie says. About what? Peeta? The Capitol? What does she know? "But I can tell you everything that I know."

I nod feverishly and she scratches the back of her neck. Sighing audibly, Effie begins to tell me.

My mouth widens in shock at the things she tells me. About Peeta. About us. The rumours, lies and reports. What Effie doesn't yet know? My mind can't seem to process anything she's saying. I'm overwhelmed once again. Effie becomes blurrier by the second. Before I know it, my head is in my hands and I'm struggling to breathe. I gulp oxygen in an attempt to calm down. It fails, of course. Oblivious to my predicament, Effie continues to talk. She's pacing around the room now. Or at least i think she is. More and more talking, more and more to take in. I think I'm doing okay. But it's what she says last that tips me over the edge. Blackness consumes my eyesight and mind. I'm drowning in it. My gulps of air turn into heaving just into an attempt to sit straight. My thoughts explode out of my head and gush all over the flooring. Effie finally notices. She's coming closer. I'm slipping further away. And then I'm out cold.

-

My eyes strain to the bright white light surrounding me. A constant beeping seems to be in the background. I can breathe again, i find. Touching my face, I'm shocked to find no injuries. What happened? How did i end up here? Why am i here? Is everyone else okay? Peeta?

I open my mouth to ask someone where i am. Yet there is no one and no sound coming from my throat. The darkness looms closer as someone hover over me. I can't decipher who it is. I wriggle to get away but i cannot move. My legs are frozen still. The darkness get closer and closer. It overtakes me once again.

__________________________________

Hello... it's me (yes i really just did that)

First order of business- i want a new username but have no clue what to change it to! So if you have any cute/creative usernames that have my name (Emma) 5sos, bands, books etc. in them please message me or comment them :)) my fave one will get a dedication in the next chapter

This update is long overdue because I've had writers block and school and ugh :( so sorry about that if you even noticed/cared.

Hope you enjoyed! Vote, comment and follow me for updates once in a blue moon x

- pizzamxllark (Emma)