3- The Fugitive

“You seem tense.” Tina observed as I washed the tops of the small black circle tables that were scattered through the café.

I shrugged quietly, thrashing the poor rag around the smooth surface as it glided across the table with the help of the spray soap stuff that I used. “I’ve had a long day, I suppose.”

“What happened?” She asked with concern in her voice.

“My sister is just… you know, my sister.” I mumbled. “It’s a long story.”

“Well, don’t scare away the customers.” Tina joked.

I gave her a small smile, but I had a million things running through my head so I didn’t respond back, I just focused on my simple task of washing the tables off. I was just finishing my last table as the bell above the door rang, signaling that people had just walked into the café. Since Tina was in the back doing paperwork or something, I sat the cleaning supplies on the shelf below the counter and stood behind the cash register. The group that had walked in was a group of people that looked to be about my age, or maybe young college students, and most of them were guys. Rather attractive, if I might add.

“Welcome to the Fly Away Café.” I chirped with a smile on my face. “What can I get you today?”

I took their shockingly complicated orders, coffees with a specific number of syrup pumps, no foam or extra foam, a macchiato with no milk.

“The cops are all over town.” One of the girls mentioned as I filled all of the orders as fast as I could. There were seven people in total, so it would take a few minutes.

“What for?” I overheard one of the guys ask.

“I dunno, but it’s freaking me out. I mean, we could die if there’s some criminal out there.”

“They’re not going to come into this small coffee shop.” Another girl rolled her eyes. “Don’t be so paranoid, Kelsey.”

“Here’s your cappuccino.” I chirped, handing the hot cup to one of the girls on the other side of the counter.

Soon, the group of people were out of the café once I’d given the last person his order and they paid for their stuff, leaving a surprisingly generous tip.

“Hey, sorry I wasn’t out here, I had to make a few calls.” Tina apologized, coming out to the front again with her black hair bouncing around her face.

“That’s okay, is everything alright?” I asked, noticing her worried frown.

“Well, not really. My sister just found her husband with his boss and she’s a super mess. Do you think you can lock up tonight?” She practically pleaded.

“Oh boy.” I muttered, realizing how awful that would be. Being cheated on, that just sounds like such a terrible thing to have happen, especially being married to said cheater. “Yeah, go ahead and go, we’re not busy at all and there’s only an hour until close, I’ll be fine.”

She smiled at me with gratefulness. “Thanks so much, Charlie. I’ll see you on Monday!” Tina called, slipping her apron off of her neck as she hurried into the back of the café that wasn’t visible from the front. Moments later, she was hurrying out the door with her purse hooked into the crook of her elbow and her keys in her hand.

“See you Monday.” I called. “And good luck!”

She smiled at me. “I’ll need it, be careful locking up, make sure all the doors are actually locked.”

“I’ve closed before, Tina.” I laughed. “I got it.”

“Well, the news is saying that there’s a robber or someone out there, so be extra careful. Thanks again, Charlie, you’re a life saver.” She thanked me one last time before I shooed her out the door so that she could go save her sister from the awful heartbreak the lady must be experiencing right now.