4- The Start

There was a bang on the door before I could explain to Thomas what I had in mind.

“Police, open up!” A deep voice roared. There was a curtain over the glass door so the officer couldn’t see inside.

“Just a moment!” I called loudly, taking in Thomas’s incredibly panicked expression. I pointed to the back of the café. “Go back there, the first door on the right is a supply closet.” I whispered.

He nodded, mouthing a thank you before hopping over the counter (and smudging my work on cleaning the glass) and disappearing through the back. Once I was sure that he was hidden, I walked around the counter, like a civilized person, and moved to the door where I could see the silhouette of two officers.

I opened the door with a small frown on my face. “Is something the matter, officers?” I asked in feigned concern.

“Are you alone, ma’am?” One of the policemen asked me with much urgency.

“Yeah, I closed shop about an hour ago, and nobody’s been in here since.” I chirped. “Am I in trouble or something?”

“No, we’re just looking for somebody.” The other one replied as they both looked through the café, but didn’t go into the back, luckily.

“Well, unless it’s me, the person isn’t here.” I shrugged, thanking myself for being such an amazing liar. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be any help.”

They both nodded at me, but I could see disappointment in their expressions. “Sorry for the interruption, ma’am.” One of them apologized.

“That’s alright.” I said sweetly. “Have a nice night, officers.”

“If you see anything, give us a call.” One of them said, handing me a business card before they were gone again. Oh my goodness, I can’t believe I just did that. I just lied to the police… for a stranger. I’m a liar. Oh man. I’m such a horrible person, like really, who lies to the police?!

Once the door was shut behind them, I hurried over to it and locked the glass door before sprinting to the back of the café where the supply closet was.

“They’re gone for now.” I announced, banging on the door, which I assume Thomas locked.

The door swung open slowly and his blue eyes peered out at me. “Really?”

“Yes, really.” I sighed. “And to get to Jefferson, you’re going to have to take this road all the way to Ford and then turn left onto Maplewood.” I instructed him.

“Okay, I got it.” He sighed, stepping out of the closet. “Thank you so much.”

“We have to go now, though, before they get the brains to search the back of the buildings.” I added.

“Wait.” Thomas interrupted as I started walking for the back entrance to the café. “Did you just say ‘we’?”

“Yes, I did.” I confirmed. “How else are you going to get there, you just said that you don’t have a car.”

“I’ll find my way.” He told me.

“Right.” I snorted. “It’s dark and this whole block is crawling with cops, who I’m assuming are out for you. And you’re going to travel four miles on foot without getting caught? Good luck with that.”

“Didn’t you hear me when I told you that I’m running from the police?” He asked me incredulously. “You do know that that means that I’m dangerous, right? I am running from the police.” He reiterated.

“You already told me that you weren’t going to hurt me.” I explained. “And it’s four miles, a ten minute drive.”

“You’re stupid for believing me.”