12- The Breakfast

*Hey! Just a heads up that I won't be updating for the next week, because I'm going to Florida and there's no wi fi where I'm going. Also, the new update schedule is: Monday, Thursday, Saturday. And I'll start that after this week. Thanks! <3*

He didn’t leave.

That was my first thought when I woke up the next morning. Thomas’s arms were still wrapped tightly around my waist and we were still spooning and, thanks to the storm, we were still both damp since we didn’t change out of the clothes that we were wearing last night.

As I laid there, with my eyes still closed, I flashbacked to last night and what had happened and then I grimaced when I recollected that I was practically- no, not practically, I really was begging him to stay. I grimaced again when I remembered the pit in the bottom of my stomach when I realized that he was leaving and I was going to be alone again.

I’m so pathetic.

That was my second thought when I woke up the next morning, after I’d remembered everything and I realized that I was stupid for being so pathetic, for even crying. I should have just let him go.

But even as that thought ran through my mind, I knew it was the stupidest thing I’d ever thought of. I didn’t want him to leave and I didn’t want to lose him. I’d only known him for a few days, but I felt like I’ve known him for years, which is so weird. I felt like I could tell him everything or nothing and he would still listen.

“I know that you’re awake.” He mumbled randomly.

I was silent for a long moment, trying to decide what to say. “I never said that I was asleep.” I croaked softly.

He didn’t talk and he didn’t move his arms from around my waist and I surely didn’t complain. But the silence began to overstay its invitation and had grown almost awkward.

“Do you want waffles?” I asked, desperate to stop the awkward silence from continuing any longer.

“I had waffles yesterday.” He told me as if I didn’t know that. “I think today we should get hash browns.”

“McDonald’s has hash browns.” I suggested lightly.

“But they’re very greasy.” He sighed, his warm breath fanning against the back of my neck as he spoke. It sent unexpected shivers down my spine.

“I’m sure we can find someplace to eat hash browns, Omaha’s pretty big, I think.” I nearly whispered.

“Okay, let’s go find some hash browns.” He chirped, sitting up. Suddenly, I wasn’t as warm as I was when his arms were wrapped around me. I missed his touch immediately.

What the hell is wrong with me? I thought to myself as I stood to my feet and slipped into my flip flops and grabbed the keys and my wallet that were both sitting on the nightstand.

We silently left the motel room and then returned the key card to the lobby before we left the parking lot with me driving, going down the main road as we looked for something to eat.

“There.” Thomas announced after about a five minute drive of silence. I could tell that after what happened last night, things weren’t going to be the same as they were previously. The thick silence that permeated the air between us was suffocating and the events of last night hung over our heads like a floating neon sign that you’d find in Las Vegas.

I pulled up in front of the small diner that Thomas had pointed to and we parked beside the door  before walking inside. For once, we were actually going to sit down and really enjoy a meal instead of driving through it or eating in solitary. I think we decided to eat in public because we couldn’t stand to be alone with each other for another minute, but neither of us said that out loud.