Chapter Two

Bellatrix had always shown magical ability since she could first remember, so it was no surprise when her Hogwarts letter came.

It was three months after her tenth birthday when it came. Her uncle Alphard had come around and had been joking and laughing with her mother. Her father was, as he often was, out at the time, on business somewhere. He didn't like their Uncle Alphard, because he liked having a laugh, and was not the normal pureblood man. He wasn't married, and he didn't conform to most ideas. He was definitely different to the rest of his family, especially his brother, Bellatrix's father. Druella loved him and his positive attitude though, and frequently invited him over, when Cygnus wasn't there.

He had just turned a particularly hideous vase that the family had got for Cygnus and Druella's wedding anniversary from Druella's mother into a small dog, and it was padding around the floor, much to the amusement of the three little girls, when there was a tapping from the window. Druella had let the owl in, taken the letter, and fed the owl. Then she had squealed in excitement, picked Bellatrix up and twirled her around. Once the little girl's feet were firmly planted on the ground, her mother grinned.

"It's your acceptance letter to Hogwarts!" 

All three little girls gasped, then squealed in unison. 

"I'm going to Hogwarts!" Bellatrix exclaimed, hugging her mother tightly.

Alphard, to celebrate, had made Bellatrix's favourite flowers- dark purple roses- rain down from the sky. Her mother had ordered the House Elves to make all of Bellatrix's favourite food, and she'd quickly Apparated to and from Florean Fortescue's, acquiring her favourite flavour; Death Eater Surprise. It was a grey coloured ice cream, the flavour of pure sugar, with dark green sauce throughout which tasted of apples. Sprinkled along the top was red sugar balls, that formed the shape of the Dark Mark.

It was the closest to happy Bellatrix could ever remember being, and, even when she was older, she would draw on this memory to put a smile on her face. 

Unfortunately, the good memory ended there, because, after dinner had been eaten, Cygnus came home early, raging about something. All the others could practically see the steam billowing out of his ears. When he saw Uncle Alphard, he blew his top, screeching about something, then ordering the man out of his house. Alphard, as always, didn't take it seriously, upturned a jug of pumpkin juice on his brothers head, to the glee of the little girls, and then quickly Apparated away. Without his brother there, Cygnus turned his anger towards Druella.

"WHAT WAS THAT MAN DOING IN MY HOUSE? HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU NOT TO LET HIM IN! HE'S A BAD INFLUENCE ON OUR CHILDREN!"

"Our children, Cygnus?" Druella demanded, hands on hips. "You never act like a father towards them! And, for your information, Alphard is perfectly harmless-"

"PERFECTLY HARMLESS? HE'S THE EPITOME OF A BLOOD TRAITOR! HE SULLIES THE BLACK NAME AND-"

"Oh, do be quiet, Cygnus," Druella drawled, sounding bored, and took each of her daughters' hands in her's. "Not in front of the children."

"AND WHAT'S ALL THIS RUBBISH!" he yelled, pointing to the food. "IT'S ALL BAD FOR YOU! YOU SHOULDN'T JUST WASTE OUR MONEY ON-"

"Cygnus, shut up. Bellatrix got into Hogwarts, so we were celebrating."

That stopped Cygnus in his tracks. He leered at his eldest daughter. "Did you really?"

Bellatrix nodded, her hand firmly clutching her mother's. 

"Well then, why don't you carry on celebrating. Your mother and I need to talk."