Wanna Watch Psycho?

"So... How many people have died here?" I ask from my spot on the counter. Chester intakes sharply, making me fear the answer even more.

"I don't think you want to know." Chester warns.

"I probably don't, but tell me anyway." I insist.

"Are you sure?" He asks, and I nod.

"Three hundred and twelve." My breath hitches, and catches in my throat. My eyes widen in horror, my heart plummets to my stomach, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

"O-oh," I choke out, suddenly picturing every human who checked in but never made it out of their motel rooms. Chester gives me a pleading, worried expression, and I remember that each one of those people's souls have been stolen by Chester.

"I wish I was normal, all I want is to be human. I hate what I do,"'Chester mutters, looking down at the floor, the friendly look in his warm green eyes gone. I've never heard him sound so defeated, so hurt, so in pain. "But if I don't I'll die, but it doesn't make it any easier." Chester looks so broken, and I realize that Chester does have a soul, and he's cursed to live off damned souls. He is human.

"Yeah, this tin man demon does have a heart." Chester bitterly snorts, his face torn. Not knowing what else to do I pull him close, and wrap my arms tightly around him. Chester buries his head in my hair, twisting his arms around my waist, he pulls close, and fists up my shirt.

"You're comforting a demon, you know." Chester mumbles into the crock of my neck.

"No, I'm comforting a human boy with a tortured soul." I correct. If possible Chester pulls me closer, hugging me so tight I can softly feel his heartbeat pounding away.

"Thanks," Chester says, with no sign of letting go. "I really needed that." He says, still holding me. I don't let go first, I wait till he releases me, but he never does. After a long moment Chester finally pulls away, his cheeks a little pink.

"I'm guessing you want to leave the demon's lair, and go back to your room." Chester says, making my spine stiffen like a rod.

"I'm not sleeping in a room where people have died in." I state, my stomach knotting up.

"You can stay in here, I'll take the couch." Chester offers. It's better than the motel room or sleeping outside again.

"Indeed it is." Chester says, that knowing grin is back on his handsome face.

"Thank you, I like to think that I am handsome." Chester says, his grin turning into a smirk.

"Don't let my thoughts inflate that already huge head of yours." I say, but that just makes us both chuckle.

"That couldn't have sounded any odder." I say grinning. I can't remember the last time I've actually grinned in a long time.

"Anyway, my only customer, what entertainment do you want?" Chester asks. "I have a great idea, do you want to watch Hitchcock's Psycho?" Chester asks.

"That's not even remotely funny, Mr. Motel owner."