Halloween Dance (Chapter 26)

GAH. SO MUCH EMOTIONAL DRAMA. I know the last chapter was short, but I'm trying to update more frequently, and the plot is about to take a turn, so ;)

Enjoy :) 

If you want to know what her costume looks like, here's the link:

http://www.polyvore.com/tinkerbell_cutie_costume_green_sprite/thing?id=46538373

For some reason it isn't being recognized by the photo thing on the side :( I also put it in the external link!

--------

"So do you think Asher has a date to the dance?"

I threw the cardboard box onto my bed, planted my hands on my hips, and glared at Kara.

She simpered. "What? I had to ask! Look, I say if you like Asher, pick him. It's worse to string Jason along and make him think you still like him. He'll understand. He's a great guy."

I threw my hands in the air and collapsed backwards onto my fluffy comforter. "That's exactly the point! He is a great guy and I don't think he deserves to have his feelings hurt like that. He was there for me when I was at my worst and he's so sweet and..." I trailed off, thinking about all those dates we'd been on and all the moments we'd shared together.

"But it's not the same as when you're with Asher, is it?"

I sighed and turned my head to look at her. She was sitting on the floor, cupping her chin, her elbows on the edge of my bed. "No. It's not," I turned on my side, "This past Monday, in detention, we got locked in the janitor's closet," I paused, gauging her reaction.

Her jaw dropped.

Oh great. Why in h*ll did I bring that up?

She exploded, "Why didn't you tell me before? What happened? Oh my God, did you two have sex?"

I threw the thing closest to me- a pillow- at her. "Eww, gross. I have standards you know. I'm not going to lose my virginity in a freaking closet. And to answer your first question, I didn't tell you earlier because I knew you would act like this. We just talked," I said lamely, trying not to blush as I thought of our kiss. If she was making a big deal out of the fact that we were locked in the closet together, what would she think when I told her we'd kissed?

She moved to sit on the bed and raised a single eyebrow at me, watching carefully. I tried my best to maintain eye contact with her, but in the end she won when my cheeks turned beetroot.

"OH MY GOD. YOU GUYS KISSED?" Her voice shrieked two octaves.

"Shhh! Geez, stop making me sound like an awful person," I groaned, the guilt gnawing at my stomach. I hadn't told anyone about Monday night up until now.

We'd managed to be set free when a late night janitor (I didn't even know we had those, but thank god we did) came to get a bucket from the closet . I had practically jumped out of the closet in my haste to get away from Asher. The guilt had been gnawing at my bones. I went straight to bed that night. The next day I ended up re-doing the detention because I hadn't checked back in with our detention-duty teacher. It had been pretty awkward for me around Jason for a while after that, and I think he knew something was up with me, but he was still giving me space. As for Asher, he hated me because I refused to break up with Jason for him. Or at least I thought he did. I was avoiding him now.

"I'm sorry, but you're kind of dating Jason right now Ashley, what did you expect me to do?"

I sat upright next to her and held my forehead. "I don't know. I guess that's expected. But first off, let me explain." Unable to hold it in anymore, I told my best friend everything. I told her about Asher's strange behavior and how he hadn't been his cocky, self-absorbed self that day. I explained how we managed to get locked in the closet and the events that led to the kiss. I told her about all my feelings, wanting to be with Asher but not wanting to hurt Jason.