Catch Me If You Can (Chapter 20)

I'm studying to get my drivers permit....so boring *yawn* ....  

************

"You will not believe what just happened to me," Jason scooted next to me on the bench, dropping his lunch tray on the wooden table. He looked annoyed.

I raised an eyebrow at him, half amused. "What?"

"You see Kelly?" he pointed at the head cheerleader standing in the lunch line making faces at her salad.

"Yeah?" I asked uninterestedly.

"She just asked me to come sit at her lunch table and when I told her I was gonna sit by you and Kara, she told me you two were a waste of time and total losers," he picked up his spork and stabbed his baked potato.

I sighed. I should've known this would have happened. I'd trusted Jason off the bat when I met him because he seemed sweet and I was hurt and vulnerable from Asher ignoring me for Emma all of the time. I just wanted someone to care for me and hold me. Now Jason would ditch me just like Asher had and I'd become an even bigger loser than I already was. Everyone would know I had been dropped by the two most popular guys in school. This is why I didn't open my heart to people easily; they always hurt me in the end.

I knew when Asher wanted to be my friend in the beginning of the year and I allowed him to get closer me I'd get hurt, but I was in denial. I thought things would change, we'd be friends forever. I fell for him and he crushed me in the end. Just like I knew he would. I didn't cry and chow down on a bucket of ice cream and watch The Notebook like other girls did when they broke up. I threw myself a mental pity party and blocked him and Emma out of my head.

When I met Jason, I thought I'd sealed the defenses to my heart shut. But just seeing him, it was like...love at first sight. Cheesy, I know. But I couldn't think of another way to explain my feelings for him. I just couldn't get enough of him, couldn't stop thinking about him, and I'd only know him for half a day. I was obsessed with the boy, I swear. It was unhealthy how much I felt like I needed him.

"You can go, I know you'd rather be there with all of the popular kids instead of sitting here with a loser like me," I allowed, willing myself not to cry.

Shut up, I told myself, you knew this would happen.

Something caught in the back of my throat and I swallowed. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes and I got mad at myself.

Here come the waterworks, I thought angrily.

"Hey, don't worry, I'm not going with them," he assured me.

"You aren't?" I asked happily. Upon realizing how needy I sounded, I backtracked. "I mean, me? Worry?"

He chuckled and pulled me in for a hug. "So you don't care if I sit with them?" he asked, amused.

"No," I shook my head stubbornly.

"Okay then." He got up and started walking to the crowded lunch table smack in the middle of the cafeteria. I could see Kelly smirking at me from the corner of my eye. Kara sat down across from me.

"I can't believe he actually ditched us," she sounded upset.

I whipped around angrily. "I can. Stupid bastard," I muttered a stream of colorful words under my breath and sat down across from Kara. "It's always the hot ones. They turn out to be jerks," I said dejectedly.

Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth to say something when she was cut off.

"You didn't think I'd actually leave you guys, did you?"