CHAPTER TWO

Dedicated to ChayAvalerias  for his #NBR Quality Comment on Chapter One. Thanks, Chayton!

It was dusk in the City of Endure. The merchants who worked their booths beyond the outer city were tearing down their trading wares for the day. A steady stream of men and women plodded through the North Gate to the inner city from the fields after a long day's work. The scent of freshly ploughed Winter's Wheat lofted through the air, sweetening the city's usual musk.

Chancellor Marcus Thane stood gracefully above it all, observing from his office window. It faced the west where he could witness the day turn in for sleep, a favourite pastime. His black and gold robes covered his slight belly which felt as if it may burst open his trousers. He had indulged, as he did too often, in too many custard tarts for dessert.

Though something bothered him, and it wasn't his digesting meal. A sadness had crept inside him and dug itself a hole. His heart dropped in his chest when he realized this may be the last time he watched his city bustle from above.

The Citadel, where Chancellor Thane was housed, stood in the heart of Endure. It was a grand structure, bigger than any castle in Valterra, bigger than The Royal Church of Light in Dunne. Its huge brownstone walls inlaid with gold and silver ornaments loomed over the inner city.

Marcus spent his day there as any other, counselling the townspeople and mediating concerns between folk. But he would miss his favourite responsibilities; blessings on Feast Day and storytelling on Name Days. Those he particularly liked because there was always a party or two afterwards.

He had always enjoyed the social aspect of his position. People brought smiles to his face. He was empathetic enough to be able to meet their needs, sometimes without even having to be asked.

With a happy run for the most part, he would at times forget the true reason he'd been appointed Chancellor, all those years ago. Brooding on it now, he couldn't help but think of his initiate, the one who would eventually take his place.

Has my time come? He asked the stars.

After he received a report that Lake Siri dried up overnight, his true position seemed to be all he could think about. His dreams also turned to prophesy at the same time and preoccupied him during his daily routines. People began asking him if he was well. If he needed rest. He'd wave away their concerns with a smile.  He knew what news the drying lake carried beneath its surface. He had been prepared for what to expect when the end of his world was near.

Light, a possible end!

He couldn't let himself predict the future, even if only in his own mind. Thoughts were precious and dangerous. He still had his initiate. He had to believe he was still safely tucked away at the edge of the world and would be ready to play his part.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath and tried to still his thoughts. When he found the calm, he looked inside himself for guidance. He saw the same images over and over again, now and in his dreams; a glowing sword, a familiar face, lightning storms piercing the skies and the seas. He even saw himself fighting the dead; poor draugs raised by the Dark. The Soulless.

He had seen these creatures once before, lifetimes ago. He prayed he never came face to face with one again but he would not take the meaning of his dreams lightly, all of Valterra counted on it.

Marcus concluded it was time to leave Endure and carry out his true duty. He buried his sadness at leaving his post and set fire to his determination. He turned away from the window and started making a mental list of things he needed to do as he collected what he would need on his travels.

He had to write to those he counselled and forgive his absence. He had to get word to Lucinde that they would be reaching Bolster soon for help in locating the Water Scroll. Most importantly, he had to convince the Elders the Earth Builder himself, the Bringer of Dust had returned and may already be raising his army of undead. That thought alone was enough to extinguish any remorse he felt for what he must now do.

"Master Thane?" Marcus jumped, startled by the unexpected interruption. It was his Page, who beckoned from an open door to the hallway beyond. "The birds are at your disposal, my Lord."

He sighed and acknowledged.  "Thank you, Henry, you may retire for the night."

Yes, the message. Marcus put a hand to his chest. Inside his robes, a tiny rolled piece of parchment lay safe inside a hidden pocket. He had written it out earlier in his study. It was to let Lucinde know that events had been set in motion.

He was reluctant to send his message by horse, dreams of the dead made him unsure of who could be trusted. He thought it best to send it out through a carrier pigeon. He had asked Henry to remind to send it out at dusk to decrease the risk of its demise by predators or minions of the Dark.

He left his half-packed satchel on his bed and scurried out of his room.  He shuffled down the long hallway as portraits of the past loomed down upon him from the walls. He reached another doorway and began up its long winding stone stairwell that led to the mailing coops.

Searching for breath, he grabbed a bird that was trained specifically to carry messages to Bolster and plucked the message from his inner pocket. He carefully unrolled it and took one last look at it before tying it to the bird for delivery:

Keeper, be ready, will be in need of Water.
M. T.

Satisfied that the message would be received and understood, he secured it to his bird of choice and walked out into the brisk night air. Endure captivated him with its glow from below. Fire lamps lit the streets below and soft flickering candlelight scattered throughout the cityscape's windows. He was rarely up here so late and he was thankful for such an enchanting view. He threw the animal up into the air and watched, only for a moment, as it flew determinedly towards its destination.