CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Elise heard the bells ringing from inside the common room. They were not the church bells she was accustomed to hearing chime every hour, these were from the Citadel so they rang with an explosively low dong. It meant only one of two things; that the Watch was on the lookout for there had been a grievous theft, or that someone had died.

          The care-house's view looked down upon the City Square, where the Citadel's massive front steps made their way up to it's grand entrance. Looking out the window,  Elise saw all the commotion as the Lawmakers were talking to Elder Valmont, the Prince and a couple other men she didn't recognize.   

         "What's going on?" Asked Chloe as she stepped into the common room and curiously headed for the window as well. Elise just groaned slightly and made room for her, but she couldn't seem to take her eyes off one of the men on the Citadels' steps. His features were blurry in the distance, but he seemed different than the others somehow. His posture seemed boyish and slightly slouched, but his build was that of a young man. Definitely not scrawny. She watched him look around the Square but she still could not make out his face. She may need to get a closer look.         

         Suddenly Chloe gasped. "It can't be!" She dashed quickly out the door leaving Elise behind rather confused. She glanced back down at the man-boy who had caught her eye. She sighed, if she only had the time. Between her work at the care-house, her volunteering and trying to keep the elf-boy hidden, she just wasn't sure she could handle meeting another stranger, even if he was tall dark and handsome. She could daydream though.           

         It didn't take Chloe long to reach the Square. Elise watched her as she ran in the street below directly towards all the men on the Citadel steps. She slowed when she reached them and to Elise's surprise, she approached the man-boy! Elise's mouth gaped open. 

     There is no way that this was happening right now! Does she know him? She must. Now they're hugging!  Light

     She needed to get down there, she suddenly had all the time in the world.

----

     "Aunt Chloe!" Avos grabbed his Aunt and gave her a big bear hug. She caught him completely off guard, but he was entirely happy and thankful to see someone he knew in the city. His father had told him before he left to look her up when they got to Bolster. He was too busy taking it all in, and now with Marcus on a frantic search, he had forgotten she was close by.      

     "I thought that was you," exclaimed Chloe. "I can't believe you're here! My gracious, you've grown into a fine young man. I'm surprised I recognized you. Who are you here with?"

     "My Uncle, Marcus, er Chancellor Thane. He uh, just left to check out the library.  We came here to meet someone and to, do something... uh, but now I think something's happened." Avos scratched his head, realizing how completely a fool he must sound, and to his Aunt no less. Chloe just stood there agape. He continued, "the lady we were supposed to meet isn't here and now he thinks he may have lost what we need to... to finish his work. How did you know I was here?"   

     "I work there in the care-house, I saw you from the window." Chloe  laughed and hugged him again. "I was right up there." She pointed to the window in the building behind them. 

     Avos took a look and saw a gorgeous red-headed young woman walking towards them both. It was a sight he had yet to see on his journey here. A beautiful young woman, who he soon realized was walking straight for them! Light, she was even smiling! He could not help but smile back. She was dressed exactly the same as his aunt Chloe, in a plain white cotton frock that hung down to her ankles. It was belted and had large pockets in front for what he assumed would be different ointments or dressings for her work. 

     He stood motionless, like a deer who heard a branch break. His cheeks and neck were suddenly on fire and he felt the palms of his hands dampen.  Chloe must have noticed the sudden change in him because she slightly giggled.

     "Elise, come meet my nephew, Avos." Elise made her way up to them both and extended her hand out to him. He wasn't really sure if he was supposed to kiss it or take a knee. He decided to just gently grasp it and cover it with his other hand, letting the feel of her skin on his sink in. 

      "It's nice to meet you, my Lady."

      Elise laughed. "Please, call me Elise. I doubt I have many years on you, and I've never been the real Lady type."         

        "Ok," Avos managed to muster. He had started feeling very uncomfortable in his own clothes, his shirt felt too tight around the neck, his underarms began to sweat. He had never seen a woman so exotic, so freckled and luscious. He wasn't sure how to carry on a conversation with her. Her dark red wavy hair was pulled back, yet some strands had escaped and bordered her face. Others stuck straight to her cheek in the heat. Her skin was almost bronze, her eyes ochre, her lips rust. She's smiling at me! Avos gulped. 

          "Elise has been my protege for the last year or so, but now she's far surpassed my healing talents." Aunt Chloe explained. "Actually she was just released from my service last week."       

          "Ah, well your Aunt likes to inflate my ego. She's taught me many valuable lessons in the art of child birthing." Avos felt his cheeks grow hotter.      

          The woman both suddenly realized that Elder Valmont and Prince Telor were still casually standing on the steps just above the sudden reunion.

          Chloe turned to them both and curtsied. "My Lord, Your Grace, I apologize for the frankness. It has been many years since I have seen my nephew." 

     Elise dropped her smile and curtsied as well. Avos just stood there, unaware that maybe he should have bowed or paid his respects somehow. This was so very foreign to him. He had been stuck on a farm for the last seventeen years, he knew sheep, not politically pleasantries.        

      "There is no need to apologize for your own happiness, my daughter. We could use some, in light of the current circumstances."    

      "My Lord?"        

      "The bells. Elder Drume's sister in Endure has passed. We just received word." He turned to Avos. "We should meet back up with Chancellor Marcus and see what he has found, I'd like not to ring those bells again today if I don't have to. My ladies." Elder Valmont nodded to the women and then back to Avos with a stare that meant he meant business. He turned and started up towards the entrance of the Citadel.      

          Chloe saw the look of contention on Avos' face. "You can find me at the care-house, my quarters are there. Make sure you stop in again so we can catch up!" She gave him a quick hug and tussled his hair a bit like he was a child. She wrapped her arm around Elise's and began to lead her away as well. Avos waved to the younger woman and received another smile in return. Then he followed Elder Valmont up the steps to find his uncle and learn his new fate.