CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Elise followed Chloe back into the care-house but made her leave one inside.

"I left a few salves drying back in my room, I'll see you later."

"Wait, will you be joining us for supper? I'd like to make something special for Avos and his un... er companion. Meet us in the common room in about an hour?"

"Of course, sooner." Elise agreed to come back and help, then scurried down the hall to her room.

     What She was really itching to do was check on the elf. Though her salves were almost finished, she worried that he would be well enough to be out and about soon.

She loved being right on any given occasion, but when she walked into the room and found an empty cot, this was definitely not one of them. Her heart raced as she scanned the room for any sign he may have left for her, but she did not spot anything out of place.

     She walked to the only other room in her quarters. Her eyes scanned her bed with grey blankets and wooden night table where a white candle and journal waited for her late night writing.

No sign of the elf.

She picked up her journal, a red leather bound book, and skimmed through it. She liked to write down ideas or spells she wanted to try. Lately, she had been writing about the elf. He still had not told her his name. Something about a code, he'd said, and getting too involved in the human world for his liking.

     No matter though, he's not here. She slammed the journal back down on her nightstand and anxiously straightened her bed skirts and blankets; though they had been far from untidy.

Was the elf gone? Had he left without saying goodbye?

Her stomach lurched and her heart began to pump even harder. What if he had seen her acting a fool with Avos? Thoughts of the boy flooded through her. He was far from young, but so inexperienced in the world. She wanted to protect him what she knew was really out there. She wondered back to her kitchen and almost jumped out of her skin when she saw who sat at her table.

     The elf.

     And he was smirking. "Lose something?"

     Elise grabbed the closest thing to her, which was a small rag, and swung it at him. He pretended to be hurt by the gesture, but then just laughed at her a little bit more.

     "Are you out of your mind wandering around the city? What if you were seen?" She demanded.

     "I wasn't. Besides, no one would know what I am at first glance. What could they do anyway?" The elf just shrugged and glared at her as if daring her to respond.

     "Oh, I don't know, flay you alive! You know your kind would scare the Light out of most people, right? To even think that you've been on our side of the world for this long without being detected is unfathomable to me."

     "Elise." The elf calmly stood up; as he did, he took her hands in his. Elise felt a warm vibration emanating from his hands into hers. She looked down at him in amazement and he smiled back at her. He held her and she let herself enjoy it for a moment. Did he feel it too?

Then something different happened. She felt a jolt of energy pierce through her and then a vision flashed before her eyes. It was her and Avos. She couldn't comprehend what it was they were doing. Were they praying, or dancing? Was it a small peak into the future? How did I become entangled in his life? What about the elf?

She blinked and swayed, her daze broken.

     "Elise, I am leaving."

Am I awake?

She opened her mouth to protest but the elf continued. "Something very, very important has come up. I must leave and report back to my Elders, to my home, Valintra. I think I know why I was sent here to you, but I need to be sure."

     He let go of her hands, then and pulled out a small knife he had concealed behind his back in his belt. He pulled down his hood and grabbed his long blonde braid and began to unravel it. He unwound it only enough so he could grab hold of a small strand of hair. He sliced it off and offered it to her. "I also need you to take this for me."

Elise hesitated at first, but then took the hair into her hand.

     "You know what can be done with this?" The elf asked.

     "Yes." Elise nodded. "I think so, but -"

     "Then listen carefully, Elise. My name is Faeron Oberon Runeteil and I am Warden of Humankind. I thank you, deeply, for all you have done for me. Your name will hold much merit with my people." He palmed her face with a single hand she felt his intense stare with shivers electrifying her backbone. "We will meet again. I will find you, or you will find me, for we are now connected. And you, my dear little witch, are about to save the world."

     Elise just stood there speechless. She had heard stories of the elven Wardens but had always thought they were legends. Faron knelt on one knee and took one of her hands to his lips. His kiss was warm, delicate and he held it until it sent a host of vibrations through Elise's body. She shuddered. Faron smiled up at her, put up his hood, turned, and walked out the door.