7. The Processing Plant

Our trek to the processing plant takes us into darkness. When the sun decides to go to sleep, I decide to take a catnap in the back, sprawled out along the length. My arms are crossed protectively over my chest. The engine is oddly soothing.

"Sorry about that," I hear Dean say. I keep myself still. Henry must be awake. He's gonna have a nice black eye from where Dean punched him. Negotiation is not the first weapon of choice for Dean Winchester, it seems. Violence always seems to get picked first no matter the circumstance.

"No, you're not," Henry tells his grandson. "You've wanted to do that since we met."

"Henry, you need to understand something. When my dad died, I couldn't save him...no matter how bad I wanted to. I never want that to happen to Sam...ever. If there's a chance that I can save him, I'm gonna do it. He's my brother. He's the only family I got."

"So, what are you thinking?"

"Can you slow Abaddon down? Because if you can, I'll do the rest."

For a while, there's silence, and I almost think I've missed something important. But I'm disturbed by the Impala's engine no longer running. I roll my head as I open my eyes. We're in front of the processing plant now. I sit up and peek in between Henry and Dean. Henry's going to town with a knife on a bullet.

My head is tilted in question, and once Henry's done, he hands over his finished work to Dean.

"A devil's trap carved into the bullet," Dean says in awe. Another thing I don't understand. I watch as he clicks the bullet into a gun and hands it over to Henry. "You're gonna have to get close. And 'close' means it could get ugly."

"I know. But you do that for blood."

"So,"-both of the men jump at my voice-"what's the plan?"

"I thought you were sleeping?" Dean gets harsh with me.

"I napped. So, this devil's trap thing, it's gonna kill Abaddon?"

"Not kill her, just keep her from leaving her meat-suit."

I wrinkle my nose. "Lovely way of saying her possessed body."

"We got to make it look convincing." Dean, Henry, and I file out of the Impala, and Dean heads to the trunk of the car. Henry and I wait patiently while Dean looks in the back.

"Maybe you should stay here, Natasha," Henry tells me firmly. "It could get ugly, like Dean said."

"Eh." I shrug. "If I keep my distance, I'll be fine."

"This isn't like the last time we encountered her. You have the option to stay put."

"But I'm not."

"And why don't you?" His brows crinkle together.

"I don't know...I feel like I should be there as a helping hand."

"A helping hand?" Dean cuts in. "No offense, Natasha, but I think I'm with Henry on this one. You're a better helper in the car than where we're going."

I purse my lips and look down at his hands. "Um, what are you doing with those?"

"It's all part of the element of surprise. These won't be fastened, so when Henry gets a good shot, he'll be able to take it."