32. Proving a Point

32. Proving a Point

"There's gotta be another way," I plea. I yank uselessly on the chains that bind me to the floor. My blue eyes are wide in fright. I can hear them, they're practically scratching at the door. The only thing standing between them and a fresh meal is that door, and their master. But their master won't stop them. "Please."

"Sorry, no loopholes in the contract," says Crowley. "You made the deal, you can't back out on your end."

"Bastard." I spit towards him, I only manage to get it on his shoe. "I hope the Winchesters kill your ass so you're unrecognizable."

"Whoa, going dark, are we?"

I struggle against the chains more. "I'm willing to make another deal."

"No counteroffers, dearie. One deal per customer."

I grunt. "Can't you at least let him go?" I nod my head in Dean's direction. He's to my right, strapped down to a chair. He's got a raging fire in his green eyes, but the flame is dimming with each passing second. I know the flame will blaze when I'm gone.

"And let him miss the show? I don't think that's fair, Maxi."

"Shut up with the damn nickname, Crowley!" I scream hoarsely. I sob when I feel my throat throb. I whimper, looking past the King of Hell, towards the door, where my death is waiting to take me. I can faintly see their shadows, the darks in the strip of light at the bottom of the door.

"I'll do this the old-fashioned way." He begins his slow walk towards the door. Instead of using magic that Dean and I very well know he possesses, he wants to prolong the agonizing wait.

"Max," says Dean. I turn my head to him but then flinch away. The last time I looked at him, his face was ghastly. I don't want to see that again. "Max, come on, baby. Look at me, Max. You know what's real and what isn't."

Slowly, carefully, I turn my head. I let out a quiet breath of relief. There's no horrifying alterations on his face. He's the same Dean Winchester I'd come to know. The same that will be watching me die. The same who might be let go and go on a quest to avenge my death.

"That's it," he says soothingly. My heart, my mind, everything is pulsing furiously. I know death is coming. "That's it, Max. Focus on me, don't look that way."

I choke out a cry. "Dean..."

"I know, I know." His hands twitch, just like mine do. We both want the same thing: for us to touch, the reassuring touch that everything will be okay. But why would we lie about it? Dean knows Hell isn't a nice place, demons spawn from there. I've glimpsed Hell, for God's sake! I know I won't be okay there! But right now, all I want to hear are lies. I want to cushion the fall that I'll be taking soon.

We completely ignore Crowley and his Hellhounds. We pretend as though we're the only two in the room.

"I'll be okay, Max," Dean assures me softly. The smile, on his mouth and in his eyes, is one of heartbreak. We're losing each other. That's the biggest thing for me, that Dean makes it through this. I'm not worried about myself like I should be. "Fight, okay?"

I nod vigorously. "Kick ass, for me."

What I wouldn't give for one last touch, one last kiss...