Chapter 6 - That Save

I continouosly wander through my mind of the joyous memories I had that school year. And that's where it hit me! The Intramurals! That one week away from any school work and just having endless fun in sports and cultural contests.

That momentous first day where we get to know who's battling who in what sport and 'camping' out near the courts.

The first day was all about Volleyball and I was so psyched to play! I was one of the first 6 in the class roster and our first opponent is the class next to us who are considered notorius when it comes to volleyball. Their roster features 4 Team B varsities and 2 former Team A varisties who competed in the recently concluded National Game at that time. Gahd =_=

We went to the court with no self-confidence in ourselves and expecting to lose that first game. While we were sitting on the bench, the opposing team entered the court, walking like gangsters.

The referee called in both teams on the court and tossed a coin to determine who will have the honor of choosing between the court and the ball. Our team captain, me, chose heads and heads is what we got! I chose the ball over the court because either court is good enough to play in.

1st Set

I was the first server. That first serve of mine was close to the net and the opponent failed to receive it. 1-0!

Following 3 service aces, my serve went off target and the score was 4-1

Then, Crystal went to our game and sat on the bench to cheer us on.

Unlucky for us, the next server of the other team was one of the 2 Former Team A varsities I mentioned. Ughhh

We couldn't handle his first service for it was too deep for any of us to receive.

His second service we didn't even bother to receive cause we thought it was outside, but it was just down the line.

This streak of service aces continued until, with a stroke of luck, was too strong and went out. The score was now 5-7 and we were down by 2.

The next server of our team unsurprisingly failed to get the ball over the net. Score is 5-8

The server looked at me and is looking to serve the ball away from where I was positioned and directly to where the unable players were.

My suspicion was right! My teammate received the ball quite falsely in which I had to chase it to keep it alive. Apparently, the ball was heading towards Crystal, I knew I just had to chase it or else Crystal would be hit by the ball. I saved the ball just in time! I digged it backwards towards the net and the ball went it wherein the oppenents were confident enough that it would not reach the net. 6-8!

After that save in which I managed to get the point for the team, I was unable to continue playing. Unfortunately, I fell awkwardly and felt a sharp pain on my ankle. At that same time, Crystal rushed towards my side along with some other classmates including Ben. I called a time out.

"Guys, I can't stand up. Finish this game strong. I have faith in you guys!", my last words to my teammates.

I couldn't stand up on my own, so Ben and Crystal rushed me to the clinic.

At the clinic

"What happened to him?", the nurse acquired

"He landed awkwardly in a volleyball game.", Crystal said

"Let me see... Ahhhh I see. Nurse, get a pack of ice, quick.", the doctor said

I was in agonizing pain. I couldn't move my right ankle and it was starting to swell. But despite this, Crystal was there to comfort me while Ben decided to inform our adviser about the incident.

Because of the agonizing pain, I couldn't help but hug Crystal. She didn't mind though, she knew the state I was in at that moment. She hugged me back and comforted me.

"You're gonna be fine Mark, I know you will. You're a strong guy, I have faith in you that you can get through this. After all, its one of the reasons why I fell in- er- why- uhm- why you're such a great friend. Yes! 'Cause you're such a great friend. Right. *giggle*

"Really? Hahahaha", I replied

After a couple of minutes, the swelling was relieved.

"You sure you can handle it?", Crystal said

"Yes I can.", I said in reply

Then I fell a little while trying to stand up.

"Ahhh screw it. Oh well, I guess i'll just have to accompany you everywhere you go then.", Crystal said

"Make sure to get well-rested wherever possible until you get to your house.", the doctor said

"Don't you worry Mark, I'll take care of you.", Crystal assured

Me and Crystal went back to the resting area wherein everybody else was still at the game. It was just me. And Crystal. At the rest area. ALONE. Just the two of us.

"You want something to eat? Something to drink? Imma buy it for you."

"I'm fine. Thanks though!"

Then everybody came back from the game. Unfortunately, we lost the game. The first set ended up at a score of 18-25 and the second set ended up 15-25. But what was more noticeable was me and Crystal sitting together on the bench. ALONE. As usual, Ben started the class with the 'yieeeee' bit and in an instant, everybody in the class was in on it.

"What was that all about? Crystal was just being helpful to a friend in need.", I said

"Yieee concerned!!!", Ben started again

"Yieeeeeeeee!!!!", the rest of the class went

"Alright alright thats enough. On to more serious matters, what is our game plan now? As you can see I am injured and unable to play anymore games until this sprain heals."

"Well that's one less boy to play. And we're only 10 boys left! How the hell are we gonna play the other games?", Doug said

"Great, just great!", Brad said

"Moreover, who will play the part of photographer in our Broadway Musicale contest on Friday?", our director, Maya, worried

Nobody had expected what I said next...