Chapter X - The Light in the Dark

All the Sky Knights flew away from the battle. The Night Crawlers chased them determined to capture as many people as they could. Aerrow noticed that and decided to do something about it.

"You guys keep going!" - he shouted - "I'll try to stall them for a while."

"What?! No, Aerrow!" - Piper said to him - "That's insane, you can't take them all on at once!"

"It's my responsibility for bringing all of you here without thinking things through first." - he told her - "Now keep falling back and don't try to prevent me from going there!"

The girl watched as he flew towards a group of Night Crawlers and dragged them away from the area. He was a really good pilot, but how long would he last all alone against thousands of enemies? She thought for a moment and came to the conclusion that she should help take the others to safety then come back to assist Aerrow.

She used a velocity crystal to generate several pulses that sped up the allied skyrides. She then absorbed the power of another crystal to create a huge force field she'd utilize as a filter: the friendly rides could pass through, while the enemy ones were pushed back and electrocuted when coming in contact with the shield. She placed several fuel crystals all around the force field to keep it up without her having to focus all the time. That way she could make herself available to help the others.

She flew past the shield, towards the Cyclonian side so she could keep the Night Crawlers away from it. Some of them tried to charge at her but Radarr leaped in front of her protectively. The dark soldiers immediately backed away from him and fled. The two exchanged confused glances.

"Uh, what just happened?" - she asked, to which the co-pilot just shrugged.

Another Night Crawler tried to attack them but when he got too close to Radarr, he actually contorted himself in agony and flew away. Piper blinked in realization.

"Radarr, I think they have some kind of aversion to you!" - she said to him - "They can't stand being near you for some reason. That weakens them!" - she then grabbed two crystals and handed them to him - "Here, a levitation crystal and a shielding crystal. Fly all over the place chasing our enemies away!"

The little guy saluted her and jumped off the heliscooter. He created a small force field around himself to protect him from incoming attacks and shot out in the sky. He used the aversion from the Night Crawlers to his advantage. Every time a Sky Knight was in trouble he went there to scare the enemy soldier away.

Piper took the chance to go after Aerrow and help him. She managed to sight him being chased by about fifty Night Crawlers. They all cornered him and shot at once. Several blasts came in his way with not one single opening to escape. The girl used her green crystal again to help him out.

"Diamond's Edge!" - she cast her spell.

A beam of blue light hit Aerrow and caused his hands to grow into a diamond shield right in front of him, deflecting all the blasts aimed at him. He looked at her surprised.

"Piper! I told you to run away!" - he shouted - "Get out of here now!"

But she didn't listen. She breathed heavily, feeling really worn out from using the power. Before the dark soldiers could even react she acted again.

"Speed of Light!" - she summoned another spell right away.

Now able to move extremely fast, Aerrow knocked out all of the Night Crawlers in a matter of seconds by jumping from on skyride to another then landing on back on his skimmer. More enemy soldiers came after they saw all that commotion. Their precise shots came so fast they managed to destroy Aerrow's ride.