Stained

STAINED

“You will never stub your toe standing still. The faster you go, the more of a chance there is of stubbing your toe, but the more chance you have of getting somewhere.”

–Charles Franklin Kettering

            I watched the place burn and the animals scramble.

            I watched my world ignite and crumble.

            I watched everything I knew wither and die.

            And when I had my fill, I turned away.

            “Well?” I turned to the guy beside me, his eyes staring blankly at the scene before us. “You coming? Or are you gonna stand there and morn your captors?”

            He chuckled, his translucent blue eyes drifting over to where I stood, but seemed to be looking through me instead of at me. “Would you really want me with you?” His head tilted a little to the side. “A blind 17 year old man who has seen nothing that he can remember? Are you sure I wouldn’t be a hazard to your vendetta?”

            Blind? But he fought beside me. He knew where they were and where I was. He’s Stained, specifically engineered to be the perfect weapon. What weapon can’t see what they’re hitting? “You’re blind?” I narrowed my eyes at him slightly, having my doubts about him.

            “For as long as I can remember.” Blond strands of hair blew in front of his face, covering his eyes slightly.

            “How do you fight like that?”

            “Same as you, practice.” He smirked a little.

            I thought back to the fight, trying to remember signs of his blindness.

            The van bounced on the dirt road and I heard the driver curse loudly. “Why’s the lab got to be so far back here? The middle of nowhere! You would think that a company as rich as this one would at least have the money to make a normal road.” He growled as he swerved to avoid yet another pothole.

            “Maybe it’s so people don’t think there’s something back here?” The guard sitting across from me and a man with platinum blond hair said.

            “Well I still hate it.” The voice from up front said angrily.

            I yawned and shifted my hands that were shackled in front of me. “So, where’s Henry?” I raised an eyebrow as I looked at the startled man. What? Is he surprised I can speak? I forced back a triumphant grin.

            “He’ll, uh, be joining us later. He had a meeting and couldn’t make the plane, so he said he’d take the next one he could.” The one across from us said as he gripped his gun a little tighter.

            “Don’t talk to them Tim, they’re Stained. Probably reading your mind and figuring out how to murder you in your sleep right now.” The man from up front sneered as he glanced back at us.

            “Right.” Tim nodded once and returned to glaring at us.

            I smiled outwardly a little. What could be better? Henry wasn’t here to stop me, there was a newbie on the job, and a paranoid jackass in the front seat. I could take them. What about the guy next to me though? Would he fight with me? Or would he be against me? And if he was against me, could I take him too? Well, I’m not staying here, so I guess I’ll find out the hard way. I thought, determined not to let this stop me from my plans.