Shock

“Change your thoughts and you change your world.”

-Norman Vincent Peale

                “What? You don’t even know our names! We could be the guys trying to kill everyone in New Sienna! Don’t just say you want to help because we beat your buddies.” The one who was staring into space was practically yelling at me.

                I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at them all. “Nicole Stark, fire, number 14, killed Henry Bane. Ashlyn O’Daire, air, Project Wings, escaped the Russian lab. Avery Kane, water, blind, escaped with Nicole. Zoey Richmond, former Head of Security, status remains unknown. Chance Clayborne, earth, escaped from Canadian lab and was captured by a former Bane Industries employee who was recently assassinated.” I paused before deciding to point to myself. “Sean Lark, electricity, knows important information, attempting to escape with you.”

                The one I decided was Nicole grit her teeth, but I saw her start to debate my offer. “Call me Nic. How does everyone else feel about letting Lark in?”

                Chance’s eyes scanned me up and down suspiciously. “How do you know so much about us?”

                “I listen to what the guards say, and I kinda broke into the head of the lab’s room and checked out your files.” I trailed off. “I heard that you guys had escaped and that they were having a lot of problems with you, so I went to find out more. I hate this place. I want to get out and help the others still stuck in there. I thought you would be the people to talk to. That’s why I offered to go on every mission since I heard about you.”

                The girl with long black hair, who must have been Zoey since she didn’t have wings and Nicole said for me to call her Nic, said, “Do what you did for me. You may not have trusted me at first, but you let me tag along. You kept an eye on me, so keep an eye on him. He could help us. You said you were looking for a guy like this Nic, here’s your chance to pick him up. He practically landed at your feet; don’t walk away from this opportunity.”

                The one I assumed to be Avery by the way he wasn’t looking at anything nodded. “I was completely against Zoey joining, but she’s made herself very useful. So, maybe we could use this guy too. It can’t hurt if we’re careful.”

                “Nic, he seems like a good guy. The type of guy we could use and who is like us. You don’t have to trust him right away, but you should accept him.” The girl with pure white wings chimed in. Ashlyn.

                “Looks like it’s been decided Sean. You’re part of the team.” Nic looked back to me. “Try not to turn on us.”

                I lifted my chin slightly. “Wouldn’t dream of it.”

                “Good. Now, let’s go to the camp spot we picked out. Leave the bodies; we can’t do anything with them now.” She said as she turned her back to me and started walking away.

                Everyone else looked at me with a small smile and beckoned for me to follow. I stayed back a few steps, not wanting to get in on the conversations they were having. They were a close knit group, and I felt out of place with them. Besides, Nic didn’t seem fond of me, and I didn’t know what that meant for the rest of them.

                Chance fell back with me and looked over with a grin. I could tell this was the guy who always had a smile on his face and tried to make the rest of them smile. He had blond hair, bright green eyes, and stood just a bit taller than I did. “So, you got a story?”