Part four

"The welcomes back rally and dance is friday, we won't have our uniforms by then so we will all be decorating white shirts at my house and pair it with denim cut off shorts." Carly says after practice.

"You mean were invited to your house?" I pretend to be shocked.

"As long as you don't steal anything."

"Course not." I flash a toothy grin as I follow the rest of the girls into the locker room to change. Carly offers us a ride to her house as long as we "don't scratch the interior" and I kindly accept. Her neighborhood is beyond intimidating with the perfect manicured lawns and picket fences. We gather in her backyard to tye dye white T-shirts and write our names on them in gold sparkley glitter glue.

"This is whats its like to be elite?" Trina whispers to me motioning to the raspberry and mint water.

"I suppose so. But that cracks me up more." I point to her teacup yorkie dog thats wearing pink booties.

"I can't even afford a dog, let alone be able to give it shoes. Thats crae."

"I hate when you say Crae. We don't need to look any more ratchet then we already do."

"You don't look ratchet. You look sophisticated. You always do. Its intimidating."

"How is that intimidating?"

"Because when people look down on you for your race, but think your best friend is dealable because she dresses nicer and gets good grades, it gets annoying."

"You don't really feel that way,"

"No. But sometimes."

"Trina don't make me feel guilty for something I can't control."

"I'm not." She sing songs. Ugh. This is so typical of her.

"Thank you for comig guys." Carly fake smiles to me and Trina as we leave.

"Whatever." I mumble with my shirt in hand. I called my brother to come pick me up since its almost nine. Her father made steak for dinner so I wasn't passing that up. I haven't had steak in years..

"What are you guys even doing over here?" He asks.

"Carlys house. Cheer team. Girl bonding. Do you need to hear more?"

"No no. Thats good" He shakes his head at us. I give Trina that knowing look and giggle with her. This was typical of my brother.

"So tell me about this welcome back dance." Colt starts once again as we work on our English project.

"Its something they do at the beginning of each year. Sorta like a horah type thing. They just hype up the beginnig of the school year. The dance is kinda basic. Nothing fancy." I answer quiet kindly if I do say so. Maybe I'm kinda warming up to Colt in a way.

"Oh. So kinda like a casual hang out."

"Ya. Just a chill night. Its outside in the court yard."

"Oh. So do people go as dates?"

"Um... Ya they do I suppose." I shrug putting down my purple lead pencil.

"So then we should go together. Casually of course." He slyly adds with a hopeful look on his face.

"Colt why are you doing this to me?" I groan at his puppy dog looking face.

"What?" His look dispearse into a almost 'whatever' type look.

"I would love to go.. But."

"Of course there has to be a but." He groans packing up his books and starting to walk away from our study place.

"Colt are you upset?" I ask worriedly following him.

"No. Of course not. I just don't uderstand your thinking."

"I don't have a boyfriend, but there is a guy who would kill us both if I went to the dance with you."

"Well... Don't tell him."

"Maybe... This is as friends right?" I clarify with him.

"Absolutely. Of course."

"Then okay. I would like to go with you." I say quietly in defeat. I really have no other arguement.

"Great. I can't wait." He side hugs me. True gentlemen are all about them side hugs.

"Don't blame me if they find your body in the bottom of a river though."

"Your worth the sacrafice." He mumbles so low I almost don't hear him. That doesn't stop my cheeks from growing red in embarrassment? Maybe not embarrassed. Maybe just... I don't know. Its a weird feeling.

"He asked you?" Trina shrieks after school as we lounge on my bed. I have to work tonight till 10, but I have an hour before work.

"Yes he asked me. And I said yes. But were just going as friends." I make sure to clarify so she doesn't get the wrong idea.

"As friends for now maybe. Lets see how long that last."

"Trina. I can't date a white guy. I'd be shunned by this whole neighborhood." I remind her.

"Only the stupid ones. To me I don't see the big difference between them and us. Sure they have nicer jobs and more money and blonde hair. But so what? In the long run that won't matter. Maybe your going to be the one to make a change in this city."

"Woah. Thats a big commitment. Lets not go that far.."

"You could totally do that though. People secretly look up to you."

"Thats not true." I say pulling on some black pants for work and my white button down.

"Trust me Aubri. I can honestly say that this guy will rock your world this year. Rather you like it or not."

"I don't. And I gotta go." I quickly hug her and hea down stairs, stealing my brothers car and driving myself to work.

"Five-six-seven-eight" Carly counts us off for the rally cheer were doing tomorrow. I move fluidly to the moves and carefully lift her up for her stunts. I'm okay being a base even though I'm a perfect flyer.

"That was great. Guys." She takes a swig of her water bottle after stopping the music. "So everyone be in the gym at one thirty and make sure to get your passes from coach. Don't be late. Don't forget to wear your outfits also! See ya'all tomorrow" Carly makes last minute announcements on tomorrow. Oh boy.

"Whats up girl?" Ricardo asks me as Some of our friends are all hanging out after school at the park in our nieghborhood. He comes to sit by me lazily draping his arm over me.

"I'm good. Were performing in the rally tomorrow."

"Oh ya. My girl decided to be a cheerleader." He snorts. Trina gives me a "really" look.

"Well I'm not really your girl." I shrug his arm off me.

"Course you are."

"Welll not really ricardo. I'm not an object. I'm a person and were not together so I'm not."

"Girl whats your issue. Cheerleading getting to your brain already. Your my girl." He glares at me. Makin me shut up. Trina now looks sympathetically at me.

This is not how this years gonna be if thats how he thinks.

___________________________

And scene!

I'm liking how its coming together, but is it moving to fast?

Love it?

Vote

Fan

Comment

Xoxo