Chapter 18

*Paisley*

                           I just knew it. The way he looked, the way he got along with Jason, and the shock I got every time he got close to me, the kind that made my hair stand on end. He smiled weakly, like he looked uncomfortable. I got up, and we smiled at each other, when we heard screams downstairs. We dashed to the door, and pressed our ears against it, listening. There was silence. Thomas opened his mouth to call out. but I clamped my hand over his mouth, shaking my head. He slowly nodded, and I took away my hand.

                            Someone came up the stairs, and pounded on our door, shaking the handle.

                            " Open the door, Paisley!" Victoria's voice rang out. Thomas went for the door handle, but I stopped him. I remembered how earlier Victoria and Brooklyn had told me that the door would be jammed by wet paint, so she would know that we couldn't open the door. Besides, Victoria's footsteps wouldn't be that heavy. The person on the other side beat on the door.

                            " Suit yourself, demigods." the person said in an entirely different voice. I gestured for Thomas to follow me, and I took a knife out of my back pocket. I started to cut a wide opening in the glass of the window. Whoever was on the other side of the door pounded on it again, and I heard a splintering sound behind me. I heard Thomas gasp in shock, and I risked a glance behind me. A hole had been pounded into the door, and one single large eye peered through- a Cyclops. I pushed the glass out, and it fell, clattering through the snow, onto the frozen ground below. I pushed Thomas towards the window, and he climbed out the hole carefully. He found hand hold between the bricks. The hole in the door became bigger.

                               " Hurry!" I called down to him , and once he was down a ways- about five feet- I climbed through too. The splintered gap in the door, as now big enough that I could have comfortably slipped through, but it would not do for a Cyclops. As I climbed down, I heard he door splinter again, and I knew that the door wouldn't stand fro long- a couple of good blows at the most. We had to hurry. Thomas was dawdling with finding a good foothold, and I rolled my eyes. I tucked my foot against his chest, and pushed back forcefully, sending him tumbling off the building. I scaled down the wall quickly, and he sat in the snow, which had perfectly cushioned his fall, and grumbled. I heard a roar in the bedroom, and a final blow bellowed through the air.

                               " Get up, get up, get up!" I cried, pulling him up, and practically dragging him away from where he had landed, around the corner. " Hurry!" I peeked around the corner, and the Cyclops came bursting out of the building, wood flying everywhere, leaving a big humanoid shape in the wall.

                               I sighed, and turned to Thomas, who looked absolutely petrified with fear. ' Thomas, I need you to stay here, When I go out there, I want you to wait until I give the signal, and then I want you to run as fast as you can to the nearest cabin- looks like it's the Aphrodite cabin. and I want you to stay put until I come to get you, okay? No exceptions." he looked hesitant, but nodded.

                               " Okay," I said.  I'm going out." I turned, but Thomas grabbed my arm.

                               " Wait. he insisted. He pulled me in and kissed me, and I stood there, paralyzed, until he gave me a gentle shove.

                                " Be careful." I nodded, shaking out of my daze. I ran up to the restless monster. It spotted me, and grinned toothily. It's teeth were a gross and sickly yellow, stained with blood form it's previous meals, and it had wads of rotten meat stuck in between. It needed some floss. I gagged as it's unbearable stench hit me. Scratch that, it needs floss, and breath mints. His hair was knotted and matted against his skull, and had bits of wood tangled in it. His leather tunic was torn, but he didn't seem bothered. His skin was decorated with graphic tattoos of- cannibalism- and- things like that.

                                " Paisley Dare, you show great spirit. I like that. But spirit will not save you against me. You stand no chance. Give up." I shook my head. He threw back his head and laughed.

                                  " So be it.' he took slow steps toward me, in no obvious rush, and pulled a knife out of his tunic pocket. compared to me, the blade was about the width of my heart. It could easily pierce me, and make a killing blow. I moved slowly. I took a deep breath. I called out for Thomas to run.

                                   " You are going to lay down and take a nap, and when you wake up, everything will be resolved. It would be a great idea to lay down and have some sleep." he frowned and, muttered softly to himself, and then nodded, sitting down, and dozing off. I carefully took some cautious steps towards him. I raised my knife to kill him plunging it towards his chest. All of a sudden, he reached out and grabbed it right before it hit him, twisting it around, and pushing me down onto the ground.

                                   " I can not be tempted so easily, Paisley. Unfortunately, you will not live long enough to use this knowledge to your advantage." he suddenly gasped, as a sword sprouted form his chest, and he exploded into dust, revealing Brooklyn. She grinned and held out her hand to help me up, but her grin dropped, and she full to her knees beside me, and started to cry.

                                               You want to know why?

                                                Because the Cyclops got me first.