Sanatona High

Walking through the halls, I duck around students and search for my homeroom. People laugh and hug, rejoicing at the reunion of their friends as I cringe. Finally in the safety of my homeroom, I collapse into my desk, the same one I've sat in for over three years now.

Running my fingers though my messy hair, I look up to meet a familiar pair of blue eyes.

"Hello, my darling!" My best friend Margy throws her arms open for a hug.

"You look nice," I compliment her when she pulls away from the hug. She twirls giving me a good look at her plaid skirt, white band tee, and red plaid flannel. Chains clink as the sway, dangling from her combat boots.

"Hey, Margy, how many small children did you eat this summer?" Blair walks by, her clique of walking cliches following.

"As many as you made," Margy smiles innocently. Blair gasps and her groupies mimic her before they turn on their heels and stride away.

"School is such a drag," Margy sighs, taking the seat next to me.

"What's you're first period?" I ask, hoping we have a class together.

"Chemistry," She groans.

"Me too," I smile as we high five.

Our principle comes on the announcements as she does every year, "Hello? Huh? Is this on? Huh? Oh, uh, Good morning Sanatona Beavers! Welcome back to Sanatona High! Don't forget to pick up your schedules at the front office. Friday will be our back to school pep rally, so wear your beaver gear! And lunch for today is the lunch lady special! Have a wonderful first day! Oh and let's not forget, Freshmen hunt starts Wednesday!"

A wicked smile spreads across Margy's face as she turns to look at me.

"Those poor freshman," I laugh.

"By the way, how did your mom let you leave wearing that?" She gestures to my skinny jeans, layered red and black tank tops and high tops.

"I left early," I smile.

"Wanna ditch? Today is going to be so boring anyway. Every class will be syllabus this, syllabus that," Margy flaps her hand mocking the yapping teachers.

"It's better than finals week," I shrug.

"Is it? Is it really?" Margy urges. Groaning, I rise from my seat and head toward the door. Just as I step into the hallway, I crash into a tall and sturdy frame.

A sense of deja vu comes over me and I look up to see shimmering green eyes smiling down at me.

"Well, nice to see you, too," Charlie chuckles, his voice rich and deep.

"Oh, hey Charlie," I stutter, stepping away from his chest.

"Eliza, you never told me you met someone hot!" Margy purrs.

"Chill Margy," I roll my eyes.

"I don't mean to be rude, but I have only eyes for one," He shoots Margy a dazzling smile.

"I don't mean to be rude, but she's got a man," Margy crosses her arms. Charlie's head snaps toward me and he looks slightly shocked.

"You?" He says, disbelieving and I nod.

"Who?" His eyebrows furrow.

"Justin Duvayn, thee Justin Duvayn," Margy smirks.

"Is he supposed to be somebody I know?" Charlie looks at Margy.

"Keep messing with Eliza, and you'll find out," She replies, smirking.

"And trust me, you don't want to mess with him," She quirks her brow, threateningly.