Red looks good on you

I wake up to bright sunshine blinding me as I stretch. Slowly I roll over, my eyes squinting to see the time on my alarm clock.

"Shit!" I fly out of bed, scrambling to get ready in my groggy state.

I trip as I hurriedly pull my jeans on and continue on only to fumble with my shoes. Panicking, I fly down the staircase and stumble to the door. My head pounding as I rush, it dawns on me that I don't have a ride.

Sighing loudly, I glance up and down the street, waiting for a miracle. Well, I might as well start running. I take off down the sidewalk, the sensation feeling a bit more foreign than usual. My converses clack on the concrete as my hair whips around. My mind still hasn't woken up and in my rush I failed to tie my shoes.

My leg jolts to a stop midair, and the world begins to spin. Gravity pulls me down into a nearby thorn bush and I can't help but let out a shriek. Thorns rake my skin as I try to clamber out.

"Fucking great," I stand up to notice my torn shirt. There's no time to go back and change, so I brush myself off and start running again.

When I burst into the school, the hallways are quiet. I power-walk to my locker and drop my bag off. Checking the time, I grab my books for second period.

All eyes are on me when I walk into class and I try to duck into the nearest empty seat.

"Ms. Parker, so nice of you to finally join us," Mr. Greenly smiles down at me.

"Uh-" I stutter.

"Might I ask why you are late to my class? Causing disruptions in my class? And did you really think I'd let that shirt slide in my learning environment?" His voice casually scolds.

"I woke up late, and ran to school. I fell in a bush, hence my ripped shirt," I reply.

"Go to the office," He shakes his head.

"But I fell, on my way to school, of which I was in a hurry to get to," I feel my jaw fall slack as I stare at him.

"Get out of my classroom!" He turns, snapping at me.

"With pleasure," I growl grabbing my stuff and storming out. The door slams behind me, echoing off the empty hallway walls. My legs burn as I make my way to the front office. My mind is foggy but I know one thing. This really shitty day is all Charlie's fault.

I throw open the office door and step inside.

"Ms. Porter! So nice to see you!" The short lady behind the desk looks up at me from over her glasses.

"It's Parker," I huff.

"Oh my, that's right," She shakes her head, her giant gaudy gold earrings causing her ears to flap. My eyes notice a few specks of gray poking out of her short hair, permed and obviously died an artificial red.

"Well, what can I help you with, dear?" Her elderly voice gives me a frontal headache.

"Mr. Greenly kicked me out," I roll my eyes.

"Again? You should behave yourself, graduation is coming up," She shakes her head again as she digs through a stack of papers on her desk, the rings on her fingers clinking.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I sigh as I take the paper from her outstretched hand before walking into Principal Fieti's office. I don't even bother to knock as I step in, closing the door behind me.

"Eliza," He nods acknowledging me, though his eyes are still glued to his computer as he finishes his typing. Finally his eyes turn to look up at me, a smile plastered on his face.