Chapter Seven

Picture on the side is of Emma Roberts, character inspiration for Shayla. ^_^

Enjoy reading! :)

✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣

Chapter Seven

An intermediary, a person acting as a peacemaker between two rivals, was really caught between a rock and a hard place. I could see clearly the struggle of being one on Reece's face ever since I came out of the bathroom, and a part of me pitied him.

Gale and I had taken it upon ourselves to brawl at every given chance. We had already quarreled about who would get to shower first, who was to make breakfast for the day, and who was to clean up afterwards, and currently we were readily giving each other the silent treatment while having breakfast. Safe to assume, Reece's morning at our place wasn't going as smoothly as he would have liked.

Reece let out a weary sigh, and I could feel him looking at Gale and I as he sat between us at the kitchen counter. I decided to not acknowledge his restlessness, and continued forking the eggs on my plate that I had managed to get Gale to cook after agreeing to do the dishes. I didn't mind cooking myself, but I wasn't sure if I even knew how to. That was just another thing I'd have to find out for myself, I guessed. Though, with Gale and Reece for company, it wasn't exactly the right time to do it.

"You both are impossible!" Reece exclaimed in frustration, before turning to Gale. "I don't even want to stay here anymore, man. I'm bored," he told Gale, his voice almost pleading.

"Then get out," Gale said simply—arrogantly, as ever—while getting up and putting away his dishes in the sink for me to clean.

Once he had made his way towards the small living room, Reece and I got up and kept our dishes in the sink too. "He doesn't really mean that," Reece said to me, his eyebrows furrowed, trying to save whatever was left of his dignity.

I bit back a chuckle and shrugged at him. "Sure," I said, though the amused smile curling up on my lips betrayed my attempt at using a serious tone.

Reece smiled too before leaning against the counter while I did the dishes. "So, what's your plan for the day?"

"I don't really know. Probably going to look for a job, and I also have to check back with the university regarding my admission. I hope they won't cancel it," I told him, a slight frown forming on my face. I had to give an exam back when I was in the hospital to make sure the injury hadn't affected my education, but I was unsure if the university I had been able to get into would still accept my application.

"Why would they cancel it?" Reece asked, now frowning too.

Great, I messed up again. "Erm... I— I don't know, I guess I am just paranoid," I told him while shrugging. 'Well, wasn't that lame,' I thought to myself.

Reece pulled himself up to sit on the counter. "Well, which uni did you apply into?"