Chapter Four

Picture on the side is the beautiful book cover made by the amazing AyeshaShariq! I just love it!

This chapter introduces you to two new characters, probably one of whom you guys had been waiting for. I hope you will enjoy reading this chapter! ;)

Chapter edited by crystaltmlinson.

✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ 

The feeling of belonging was absent as I stared around the room from my place on the window seat in my bedroom. The room was indeed homey, just like the rest of the house, carrying a relaxed and cheerful feeling about it - something that its occupants were lacking.

Twenty-two days after the accident, I was finally discharged from the hospital this morning and brought straight back home. Home: a place that seemed to have lost its meaning for me.

So much had happened since I had woken up from the coma. There was so much for me to learn and keep up with: what I had known all my life in a matter of a mere nineteen days. After Daniel's slip up that day, I had been restless and desperate to know everything there was to know about the situation that life had put me in. My parents and I had gotten into a car accident. They had died and I had amnesia, and their funeral was held while I was still in a coma. Then, having Daniel mention something to me about my parents' will and my siblings' guardianship but not being aware of it myself just didn't sit well with me.

That day, I met with all the people that had come to see me in the hospital when I had first woken up and that seemingly held some importance in my life, except for my little sister, Leah; she had come to visit me two days later, for the first time ever since I was put in the hospital. She was still reluctant to come from what I had felt. She gave me a brief hug before stepping back as though it still wasn't brief enough, she didn't speak to me or even look at me after that, and she jumped at the first opportunity to go back home. Her actions, to me, were justified by saying that it was very difficult for her to deal with the trauma of our parents' death, especially at such a young age, and rightly so. She was, after all, only eleven-years-old.

Uncle David, my maternal aunt Ruby's husband, was my parents' lawyer and had explained to me about my parents' will and why the court wouldn't approve of me having the custody of my siblings. I, being an eighteen-year-old with a mental disability--amnesia--didn't appear to be the most promising guardian in the court's eyes. He had also been generous enough to sort out any other legal complications for us so we wouldn't have more worries piled on top of the already existing ones.

Robert Summers and his family were close to mine since he and my father were best friends. Robert was the one getting my siblings' guardianship. However, during my stay at the hospital, Ethan and I had come to a decision that we wanted to live together. He didn't want to part from me while I was still dealing with amnesia, and I wanted to get to know my siblings—the only family I had got left—once again and them living away from me wouldn't help my cause. So, we had managed to convince Robert to let my siblings live with me on the grounds that we would be in the same city as him, and his family. The condition wouldn't be as difficult to fulfill, Ethan had told me, since I was already going to a college in the same city and it would be for the best if I continued with my previous plans.