3

Sirius sighed wearily as he sank into one of the chairs in the sitting room, tired from the weeklong Wizengamot trials. He was glad that all the Death Eaters had been sentenced to Azkaban, and not one of them had been able to buy their way out. With the Ministry in much more capable hands this time around, there was less of a chance of that happening, but Sirius had still been worried. There were a lot of things that could happen to disrupt the flow of justice.

But thankfully, nothing had happened, and the Death Eaters had been transferred to the prison, which was now under the control of wizard guards, since the Dementors had joined Voldemort earlier that year.

There was still a risk, but Amelia had increased the number of guards, and was working with several people to find a more suitable location to house the prisoners, since Azkaban wasn't as safe as it used to be.

A gong sounded throughout the Castle, and Sirius sat up quickly, turning towards the fireplace. That noise indicated that someone who was not keyed into the wards was calling.

Sure enough, Snape's head was floating in the fireplace as he looked over. Sirius stood up and walked over. "Severus," he greeted courteously. "Has something happened?"

Snape hid his uncertainty behind his stoic mask. "Black, may I come through?" He attempted not to show any contempt in his voice. Even though they had called a truce, of sorts, he still found himself remembering those hellish school years, when Black had pranked him mercilessly.

Sirius nodded. "Go ahead," he replied, stepping back as the Potions master's head disappeared for a moment, before the man himself appeared, brushing ash off his robes.

Once he had cleaned himself up a bit, he looked back at Sirius. "Is Minerva around?" he asked.

Sirius shook his head slightly. "She took Harry and his friends to get their school supplies today. They should be back soon, though."

Snape nodded his understanding.

Sirius frowned. "What's going on, Snape? Is something wrong?"

Snape bit his lip, his expression glazing over slightly. "I'm not sure," he answered the question. "It's certainly something... surprising. But it may be nothing."

The Floo flared to life, and the two men turned to watch as Harry and Minerva stepped through.

Minerva appeared momentarily startled to see her fellow professor standing there, but immediately composed herself. "Severus, to what do we owe the pleasure?"

Snape shrugged with one shoulder. "I wished to speak with you two about something, if you have the time?"

Minerva nodded, and turned to Harry. "Why don't you go put your school supplies away, Harry. And then can you check in with Tibby about supper?"

Harry nodded, smiling a greeting at the Potions master as he left the room.

Once the adults were alone, Sirius gestured for them all to sit down as he pulled out his wand, enacting some of the privacy wards that were sown into several rooms in the Castle. Every sitting room and office, along with a couple of the bedrooms all had dormant wards set up, which made it much easier to raise them, rather than cast new wards each time.

"What's happened, Severus?" Minerva asked, worry seeping through in her tone and her expression.

Snape sighed. "I received a visit from Bellatrix and Narcissa a few days ago," he admitted.

Sirius furrowed his brow. "Do you think your cover's blown?" he asked, trying to ignore the slight twinge of worry that crept up at the thought.

Snape shook his head. "Bellatrix suspects, but then, she suspects everyone of duplicity. That's not what I wished to talk about." He paused, momentarily doubting what he had come here to do. He wasn't used to trusting people; Albus had said he'd help, but Snape knew he was more of a pawn than a valued human being to the headmaster. But Minerva and Sirius were different. They had to be.