14

Valentine's Day that year was on a Friday, with a Hogsmeade trip scheduled for the next day.

Harry and Ginny spent the evening in the Room of Requirement, enjoying each other's company over a candlelit dinner courtesy of Dobby.

Ron had also managed to rustle up some Valentine's Day plans, setting up a picnic by the lake, utilizing several handy spells to keep the area dry and free of snow, as well as comfortably warm in the crisp winter air.

Susan felt a little left out as all of her friends spent the evening with their significant others, and spent the night just wandering the castle, thinking about things - mainly Neville and Hannah.

The Gryffindor and Hufflepuff spent an enjoyable evening eating in a classroom Neville had set up. As the night drew to a close, Hannah looked up at her boyfriend and took a deep breath. She really liked Neville, and liked being his girlfriend. But she could see where this relationship was going, and knew she needed to speak up now.

Sensing the change in mood, Neville glanced up and met Hannah's gaze. He smiled. "What's going on, Hannah? Did you like the meal?"

Hannah nodded shakily. "I did... Neville, we need to talk."

Neville furrowed his brow. "What's wrong?"

Hannah took a deep breath. "Neville, I really like you."

Neville nodded, confused. "I like you, too."

Hannah shook her head. "No you don't." Neville opened his mouth, but Hannah spoke over anything he might have said. "Not in that way. Neville, you like me as a friend, but I can tell that your heart isn't really in this. You and me, we're not going to work, because you're still in love with Susan."

Neville stared, and Hannah sighed. "I'm sorry, Neville. I never meant to come between the two of you -"

"We broke up," Neville interrupted. "You didn't come between anything. Susan and I -"

"Are good together," Hannah smiled, reaching out and resting a hand on his. "You broke up, but that wasn't because you didn't have feelings for each other." Neville looked uncomfortable, and Hannah's smile widened. "You both got scared because you were feeling things you didn't understand. You fell in love, Neville, and it happened earlier than you had planned, so you broke up." She took a deep breath. "It's time to stop running."

Neville looked at her, and took in her understanding gaze. He smiled hesitantly, and stood up. "I'm sorry, Hannah," he started, but she shook her head.

"It's all right, Neville. Go find her. And Neville?" she called out, stopping her now ex-boyfriend as he opened the door. He turned around and looked at her. "Once you find her, don't let her go. You both deserve to be happy together."

Neville's smile turned more certain, and he nodded. "Thanks, Hannah. I'll see you later."

With that, he quickly left the room and made his way towards the Hufflepuff common room at a fast walk. He wasn't sure where he'd find Susan, but he hoped that he'd stumble across her somehow.

Susan was on her way back to the common room when she heard someone call her name. Turning, she was confused and surprised to see Neville running up to her.

The Gryffindor came to a stop in front of his former girlfriend and good friend, and then paused, unsure of how to start. "Hi," he finally said.

"Hey," Susan replied awkwardly. She looked around. "Where's Hannah?"

Neville bit his lip. "We broke up."

Susan stared. "What? I mean, I'm sorry, Neville."

Neville shook his head. "I'm not." Susan looked confused. Had Hannah done something? Neville sighed. "Susan, when we broke up, I thought it was the right thing to do, but Hannah pointed a few things out to me tonight, and she's right. It's not fair to any of us for me and Hannah to date, because I don't have feelings for her. I never really did."