8

The next week, Harry had hardly any time to devote to his extracurricular studies. The first Quidditch match of the season was that weekend, and it was Gryffindor versus Slytherin.

While it was true that the game might be a little more civilized without Malfoy and the upper years who had made up the majority of the team the year before, the rivalry between those two Houses was ingrained, and wouldn't change any time soon. At least now it was more likely to stay friendly and on the Pitch, rather than in the corridors between classes.

Harry knew that Theo had had his hands full picking an entirely new team. He was relieved, but not entirely surprised, that the new Captain had failed to pick Crabbe and Goyle to return to their spots as beaters. The two troll-like boys, however, were less than thrilled. Harry had observed them muttering with Pansy Parkinson and a few seventh years in deserted hallways, which did nothing to set his mind at ease. He warned Blaise and Daphne to keep an eye on them, but beyond that, there wasn't much he could do.

He mentioned his worries to Snape, managing to get the professor alone by staying after class, but Snape just nodded, sighing. "I've noticed it as well," he admitted, rubbing a hand tiredly across his face as he surreptitiously put up a few privacy wards to keep any unwanted ears from hearing them. "I'm keeping an eye on them," he gave a pointed look at Harry, and the teenager knew that meant Snape was using passive Legilimancy to monitor their thoughts, "But they have to have had at least some minor training in keeping that information from getting into the wrong hands. Without a more concentrated attack, I won't be able to find out what they're whispering about. Just observe, Potter. If you notice anything, don't keep it to yourself."

Harry nodded, and rushed off to catch up to his friends.

XXX

Gryffindor dominated the field that Saturday. After forty-five minutes of play, the lions were up 100-10, and the snitch had yet to appear. After a brief time out, Harry decided to switch up his team, to give the reserve members a chance to see some action. He put in Seamus for Dean at beater, and switched Natalie for Demelza. He wanted everyone to be comfortable playing in a real game, and it was better for them to get that experience when they were up by ninety, rather then needing to go in because they were down a player and losing by fifty.

The next hour increased the margin by another seventy points, as Harry switched out his reserves and starters several more times. Finally, Harry decided to put the Slytherins out of their misery, and dropped into a steep dive, catching the snitch and cementing the final score at 350-40.

The red and gold section burst into cheers as the team lowered to the ground. They were soon surrounded by students clapping them on the back, shaking their hands, and congratulating them.

After a few minutes, Harry managed to make himself heard above the crowd. "Party in the common room!" he shouted, to an approving roar.

The team headed to the locker room, while everyone else made their way back up to the castle.

It was an interesting experience, Harry reflected as he changed out of his Quidditch gear, to play a game with Slytherin and not have to worry about foul play. For the first time, the Slytherin team was entirely friendly. Without Malfoy and his ilk, they were able to play the game the way it should be played. While Theo Nott wasn't what one would call 'friendly', he wasn't on board with the pureblood supremacist act, and he was able to get along with most people, and the new Slytherin team was built of more open-minded members of the House.

XXX

The party that followed lasted well into the evening and early morning, with the entire House celebrating their victory. Harry had cajoled the house elves into supplying enough food to feed the entire school, and he and Ginny took one of the secret passages into Hogsmeade to provide the butterbeer.