CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

INGRID CLEARWATER was uncertain of her future. If you had asked her where she would be ten years ago, she would've easily replied with, "with my mother." Now, in this day and age, it was the polar opposite. She was on her own, finding that she did indeed work better without a supervisor.

     Things simply did not come easy to Ingrid, though. Her mother had been killed, the scene of her death always playing out in Ingrid's sleep. Her life had been flipped inside out at the age of twelve; teaching her that the world was none other than a cruel place.

      Illness had plagued the earth, leaving people running for protection, finding it in various places. The Flare virus had left people in tatters, family members becoming disowned and tossed like chew toys at the discovery of the Flare. The world was confused on who to trust, and where to hide their children to keep them safe.

It was then that WICKED appeared, helping children who seemed to be immune to the virus and could survive out in the world. Parents immediately gave up their children without a doubt, leaving all of them to fend for themselves as the parents slowly died.

It was only Ingrid's mother who decided to teach her daughter everything she knew by herself. The last thing Emberly Rose Clearwater wanted for her daughter was to be taken away to a society where she was lost. Where her childhood would be disregarded. Where the words "she's just a child" meant nothing. So with that, Emberly taught her daughter all the wonders of using a bow and arrow, all the ways to aim perfectly and never miss. Ingrid immediately caught on, knowing that if she never learned, her life would be on the line.

Emberly had anticipated that she would always be with her daughter, fighting by her side. She never thought she would be killed by a group of people, for a reason that was unknown to the two Clearwater's.

       Ingrid spent two years struggling to live after her mother's unsettling death. It was one night, when a helipad appeared from out of the sky, landing in front of her. A man offered to teach her the ropes of this new world, also adding that she would be heavily protected. That was enough for Ingrid to hop right onto the helipad. She was then escorted to a safe haven, finally given a warm bed and real food. She met others like her, who were also immune to the Flare virus. Ingrid spent the next year catching up on strength, practicing day and night with state of the art knives. She soon enough became one of the most honored Gladers, her true strength being tested through thick and thin. It was Assistant Director Janson who she had to thank, for she most likely would have rot to death if he hadn't found her that night.

      Currently, Ingrid Clearwater was practicing with her bow and arrow, using the red targets painted onto the walls as targets. Each time, she never missed her shot. She suddenly heard clapping from behind her, and Ingrid slowly turned around to face Director Janson.

"Your skills have been improving, Ingrid. I see great things for you," Janson nodded his head in approval, earning a small smile from the brunette.

"I know. But you interrupted me, so I'd really like to get back to my practice," Ingrid turned back around, pulling an arrow from her full pack, slinging it into her bow. She stretched her arm farther back, her eyes planted on the black-colored midpoint of the target. She released the string from her grasp, the arrow flinging towards the black midpoint. She smirked lightly, preparing another arrow as Janson spoke.