CHAPTER FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
We don't hate life for the heroes that we couldn't be, but for the villains it made out of us.

INGRID WAS really beginning to despise Brenda.

Besides the crude jokes she made about Ingrid and Thomas, there was the added fact that she considerably was the least friendliest person Ingrid had to team up with. If it weren't for Thomas, the brunette-haired girl was quite sure that she would've begun scavenging on her own. But Thomas had insisted that they all stick together in hopes of finding an exit quicker than possible. Ingrid only agreed for the mere fact that the dust was beginning to lodge itself into her nostrils, depriving her of fresh air.

Ingrid waved her flashlight back and forth, struggling to see against the void of light. The only thing that provided anything was the three flashlights that constantly continued to shake. The added scent of perspiration as they all focused on finding an exit lingered in the air. Ingrid scrunched up her nose, ignoring the smell altogether and lifting up a few rocks that blocked her way. She couldn't believe she was intertwined in this mess, especially the part where she was involved with a girl who seemed more interested in showing off instead of actually searching. Ingrid was all for girls sticking together, in fact, she loved the idea, but Ingrid wasn't enjoying the vibes Brenda gave off. She had nothing to say to her as she continued sliding against the wall to search for anything that led to somewhere. Thomas seemed to keep his mouth shut as well, up until Brenda decided to open her mouth. "So, what's with you two? What's your ticket to the Safe Haven?"

"Safe Haven?" Ingrid echoed back confusedly, shining her flashlight against an empty box, sighing lightly.

"You know, the Right Arm. Thought you would've known, considering you're WCKD property and such," Brenda spoke coolly, and Ingrid wanted to reach over and knock the flashlight over her head. She knew better than to, and luckily, Thomas noticed the rising tension between the two and stepped in.

"We don't know," Thomas replied coolly. Brenda was aware he didn't want to reveal too much information, yet she shot Ingrid a look that shot venom into her. Brenda heaved a piece of metal behind her, beginning to trek further into the darkness, leaving behind Ingrid and Thomas, who seemed to be so bothered by Brenda's mere presence. Then again, Ingrid was no stranger to what it felt like to be alone. She almost felt empathetic for Brenda before she remembered that she had already begun to despise her. Hatred was stronger than sympathy.

Ingrid walked alongside Thomas, ignoring the looks he shot her every two seconds as a way to make sure she wouldn't try to kill herself again. He knew Ingrid, or at least he thought he did. When he had heard those two collateral words come out of her luscious red lips, Thomas had quivered in fear. The words 'shoot me' were not two words someone uttered when they were blithe with the ways of the world; no, it was surely something far more lethal than he could comprehend. He wanted to say something, to make the haunting silence go away. But no words were uttered in the paradigm of seconds that followed. Thomas didn't even know what he was looking for in that moment, but he knew it should be useful. "So, do you know where the Right Arm is?" Thomas shouted out to Brenda, but he was almost certain she didn't hear him.

She looked behind her to see the two trailing behind and yelled back, "No. But Jorge knows a guy. Name's Marcus. They used to smuggle kids into the mountains. If Jorge made it out, that's where he'll be taking your friends," Brenda stopped her leisurely stroll, observing a metal tire that was on the floor. She was unaware of the shock on Thomas and Ingrid's face at her words.