CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX
The only real battle in life is between hanging on and letting go.❞

DARKNESS.

It is the opposite of light, happiness, and all things good in the world that don't cause chaos in the universe. People ache day and night to live in a world where light is the only thing that ties into their vision. But sadly, most people are plagued with darkness, such destruction rooted in them by mere events or facts that have been brought to their attention.

Ingrid never planned on being one of the many people who were thrown into a never-ending abyss of depression, more so losing hope than rekindling it. But after the events she had just witnessed, she was unsure as to who she was before, without darkness. She forgot how it felt to trust, her entire body being deprived of even a small sliver of hope. She couldn't possibly forget that she was leaving behind the one place that was even remotely considered to her as a home. A place where she could be free, be happy. But even that, was taken away from her.

Her hand was still tightly clutched in Thomas's own warm one, and everyone had taken notice to it by now. No one bothered to mention anything, for they understood. They each needed a shoulder to lean on, and they were each other's shoulder. It was confusing to them all, but they didn't question it. They knew.

The large metal door dividing Ingrid and Janson was like a shield for the Clearwater girl. She was being guarded by Thomas, now. Away from any more lies, any more secrets that would end being more dismal than possible. The pack of people stood in shock before turning around to one another, their minds all pondering the same question.

What do we do now?

"Come on, guys, let's go," Minho spoke as he ran past them, awakening them all as they were pulled back into reality. This was their life. They didn't have a safe place to land, always on the move before they even had a chance to settle beforehand. Ingrid released her grip on Thomas' hand, and it was then that the boy actually came to terms with the fact they had even been holding hands. It seemed like second nature to him, as if he was meant to be holding her hand.

And as it would only happen, he intertwined their hands again, shaking his head lightly as a way to signify that he couldn't very possibly let go just yet. She smiled, her cheeks turning a bright crimson shade as she turned around to begin running behind the rest of the others. Thomas and Ingrid ran alongside each other, and she felt the urge to pull their hands away from each other.

And so she did. She had no choice but to pull it away, or else she couldn't run nearly as fast. She sprinted ahead of Thomas, catching up to Teresa, who was ignoring all eye contact from Ingrid. "Come on guys, keep moving!" Ingrid yelled as she now sped up her pace, now in front of everyone else who were once in front. They all ran as fast as they could, until they were stopped by another metal door, except this one seemed more sturdy.

Ingrid reached over, turning the lever that was located on the side of the door, hearing the scraping of metal and turning hinges. Soon enough, the doors began to part open, dust and sand infiltrating their nostrils as they swatted their faces. Thomas looked hesitant, and he shared a glance with Ingrid before finding the strength to scream out, "Let's go! Come on, come on!"

They ran straight into the sand, all of their eyes averting everywhere as they made contact with their surroundings. It was a sandy dune, the lights of the building behind them becoming apparent as it lit their pathway. Helicopter whirring was heard, only making the group of teenagers run even faster. Before they knew it, they reached a high mountain of sand, and Ingrid was the first to begin climbing. "Come on, guys! If we want to lose them, we have to go up this hill! Maybe we'll find something."