CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO
No one expects an angel to set the world on fire.

         THE TRAINING ROOM was in a tightly packed area, sharing space with the doctor's room, where new arrivals got checked and prepped. Ingrid did indeed have her own training room, but she was still forced to test others on their ability to protect themselves. So that's how this incredibly useful yet cramped training room came about. Ingrid despised this part of her job the most - testing the others to see where their weaknesses and strengths apply. If they couldn't protect themselves, they usually got tossed like chew toys. It wasn't like she she cared much for this part, simply because she knew very well that she was quite skilled, mostly due to the fact that she was talented. Hard work and dedication had paid off for the young girl, whereas others had never found the true strength to fight all of their own demons, like fear. Fear was not an option in this life. Fear was a disease.

       Ingrid stood in the center of the training room, her eyes averting all over as she surveyed the weapons that lined the wall. There were guns, knives, bows and arrows, everything you could possibly imagine. Her hands tightened around her own bow and arrow that had been given to her by her mother. Janson had wanted her to give it up, but she refused immediately, saying that if they even dared to try, she would rip their hands off. Ingrid was not going to let go of the last piece of her mother, no matter what it took. She rolled up the sleeves of her shirt, tapping her foot impatiently against the cold floor. The newbies had been taking much longer than expected, which didn't necessarily surprise the brunette, but it did make her feel immensely annoyed. The young teenager was about to walk out of the room, on her way to rant to Janson, when the newbies finally piled in the room, one by one. They all stood next to each other, all of them lined up so that Ingrid could look each and every one of them in the eyes. She took that to her advantage, pacing the room in a slow manner that nearly made the new arrivals pee themselves from anxiety. Ingrid noticed the other girl was missing, but she simply pushed the thought aside, knowing that considering she was the only girl in that Maze, there was going to be plenty of questions. Ingrid finally stopped her slow-paced walk, smiling lightly at them all. It was a sarcastic smile, one that made the newbies shiver in fright. Ingrid eyed Thomas out of the corner of her orbs, ignoring the piercing gaze he continued to throw her way.

       She cleared her throat loudly before beginning to speak in a quiet yet stern tone, "I hope you've all gotten your shots full of vitamins, because you all look like shit." They all looked between each other, gulping nervously at Ingrid's harsh words. She laughed softly to try and lighten the mood, shaking her head in laughter. "It's a joke. You can laugh."

       A light chuckle could be heard, gracing the silent air that was once held. Ingrid turned her head to see where the laugh came from, only finding that she couldn't quite match the voice. Instead, the brunette pulled an arrow from her full sack of them, slinging it into the bow's string, and aiming it between two boy's heads. The boys all gasped in unison, eyes widened as they gawked at her power. She then proceeded to lower her arm, a smirk planted directly on her face.

       "Now this, my friends, is a bow and arrow. I will not be afraid to shove it up your asses if you try anything weird. We clear?"

       The boys all nodded immediately, nonchalantly taking a step back from the girl who had proved herself to be incredibly strong. As if Ingrid knew they were terrified of her (which she did), she pointed at a boy with fluffy ginger-colored hair, who currently held a stone-cold expression. "You. Come here."

        The boy walked towards the center of the room, standing beside Ingrid tentatively. She handed him the bow and arrow,  him taking it cautiously from her smooth hands. "Alright, shoot."