Chapter 3: Confrontation

Bleached

Chapter 3: Confrontation

Disclaimer: Sigh. Do I have to? Groan. TITE OWNS IT PEOPLE!!!!

Zanpakotou speech

"So...you're telling me that you look like me because we are related?" Shiba Kaien repeated Ichigo's words after he had finished giving him an account of his (bullshit) story. Ichigo nodded hesitantly, not sure of how his cousin would react.

"Well then, welcome to the family! I have to induct you immediately as my brother, since you do not really have any proof that you are a Shiba beside your looks, but your story sounds plausible enough. I think I remember some uncle of ours going missing in the Rukongai some years ago." Ichigo blinked. Was this really all he had to do? Moreover, did he say brother? He hesitated once again before he answered.

"Thank you. Nevertheless, why would you want to induct me as your brother? And don't you have to consult your Elders before you do something like this" he asked He could not understand why Kaien would want a literal stranger he just met as his brother. Sure, they looked alike, but that was it. Kaien seemed a little torn before he sighed and answered Ichigo's query.

"Look, I know that we don't really know each other, but the reality of the matter is that the clan needs an heir, and since I have no...ah, eligible brothers or children, the nearest heir is a bastard of a man that I don't trust. Moreover, the reason I am choosing you is very simple. You might have experienced it sometimes, which is probable if your reiatsu is anything to go by, but the Shibas have a special hidden power; the power to read hearts." Kaien took a deep breath and looked at Ichigo who had gone white as a sheet, and gave him a wry smile

"Do not panic. It's not like reading minds, but rather we get an inkling of whether the person is trustworthy or not, and from you I got a strong feeling of belonging from you. It...confused me, you know, 'cause you felt like someone I could tell my deepest darkest secrets to, and you weren't even conscious!"

The Shiba clan head looked amazed and disbelieved at the same time. On the other hand, Ichigo felt rather uncomfortable, so he cleared his throat, bringing Kaien's attention back to him. The orange haired male had his scowl in place, and looked rather torn.

"I...I'm not to sure about this, but I..." the hybrid scratched his head in frustration. He wanted to accept the offer, but wouldn't it be too greedy of him? In the he just said, quite frankly.

"It's a good proposition, but I don't want to be a burden." Kaien blinked, and then grinned widely.

"I'll take that as an agreement! And don't be daft, you won't be a burden! Now, tell me, have you ever heard of Shin'ou Academy? " Ichigo, who was quite perplexed, decided just to go with the flow, and nodded.

*2 days later-Shinou Academy*

It looked like fate was favouring the Shiba. It truly was a lucky coincidence that the entrance exams for the Academy were two days after the newest Shiba and heir of said clan was awake. Ichigo and Kaien were now in the waiting room for Ichigo's results. Kaien shot a look in his... brother's direction, observing how he was acting. During the two days he had spent with Ichigo, he had gotten to know that the orange haired twin of his didn't normally smile, and always had a frown on his face, which detoriated into a scowl when he was irritated. The man didn't act like a normal Shiba, though he didn't have a stick up ass like the Kuchikis, thankfully.

Beside that, it was a certain grace to his movements, much like the late Kenichi Shihouin, former Captain of Squad 2 had had. It was like his baby brother had some training in the field of Shinigami, which was likely as the missing Shiba had been a promising young Shinigami before he went off to wherever. Kaien frowned, if he remembered correctly, the missing Shiba had gone AWOL around 35 years ago. That meant that his new baby brother was younger than some of the children in the clan, which was unbelieveable. So Kaien decided to ask his brother quite about his age there and then.