The Murderer and the Magnificent

Christine's peaceful slumber was stirred as someone's nimble fingers gently stroked her jaw line, trailing up her face to her cheek in a soothing motion. Her dark lashes fluttered open to reveal strikingly beautiful emerald eyes as she looked up to meet the gaze of the man to whom those torturous fingers belonged to. Erik stared at the young soprano intently, his fingers still tracing soft circles around her jaw, and gently moved a stray piece of hair behind her ear.

"Good morning, angel..." Christine whispered, distracted by the constant movement of his fingers, the very same fingers that composed haunting melodies, across her soft skin.

"Good morning, my Christine," he murmured back with a small smile. The masked man slowly reached down and took her small hand, enveloping it with his rather large palm. "If you wouldn't mind, there is something that I would like to let you listen to," Erik said softly, a flicker of excitement across his golden eyes as he looked down at the young soprano.

Christine raised an elegant brow, curious about what he could have meant by that. "Of course, angel..." She agreed quietly, nodding her head as she readjusted so she was sitting up in bed. She felt minor disappointment when his hand left her face; his apparent joy at her acceptance making her heart flutter lightly in her chest as she felt her cheeks start to flush. If he noticed, he did not comment upon this fact, much to the young soprano's relief.

Erik's smile broadened across his face as he looked at his young fiancée. "Then I shall leave you to get ready," he murmured, his eyes glowing warmly. He kissed Christine's hand, his eyes never leaving her's, and strode across the room to walk outside the door.

Christine slowly pushed back the soft blankets off of her body and begrudgingly got out of the large bed. She walked over to her closet and turned the golden door knob, revealing racks of beautiful dresses. The young soprano had often seen the apparel of the respectable women who came to see the operas, wearing such lovely extravagant clothing that she had only dreamt of being able to wear something so beautiful. Christine excitedly slipped out of her nightgown and put on a flowy light pink dress. A bow adorned the fabric against the small of her back, and a built-in corset trimmed her already small figure to accentuate her curves pleasingly.

Satisfied, Christine walked out of her closet and back into her bedroom, heading towards her large white vanity propped against the far wall of the room. She gently brushed through her chestnut curls and pulled back the top half of her hair with a pink ribbon so that it was out of her face. After she was finished, she quickly slipped out of door and walked down the to music room where she knew Erik would be waiting for her.

As the young soprano walked down the narrow halls, anxiety coursed through her veins. Christine remembered how last night she had decided to tell her angel of her true feelings, and, although she was nervous, she was determined to go through with her plan. Her hands started to involuntarily play with her dress as she advanced towards the music room. The dress scrunched in between her small fingers, causing it to slightly wrinkle. Christine looked down at the dress and quickly dropped the fabric, trying to flatten it back out with her hands.
She got to the tall doorway and she slowly opened the door, revealing a large organ which Erik was sitting at, his back turned away from Christine.

"Erik?" She called softly, her hands starting to play with her dress again. He slowly turned around and faced the young soprano. She stood in the doorway, looking as beautiful as ever in her form flattering pink dress, and he found himself smiling at the thought of her putting an effort to see him, although it is unnecessary, with her natural angelic beauty.

He smiled gently, noticing her fidgety actions, and he wished to distract her from whatever was causing her to act this way. "Come, my Christine. I wish to show you a part of the opera that I would like you to sing in," he said gently, gesturing for her to join him on the plush bench at the organ.