Two is Better Than One

It was about two months after they had been married, when Christine began to get sick. On this morning, the young soprano very quickly ran to the bathroom to empty the contents of her stomach into the toilet.

Erik, who had felt her get out of bed in a hurry, rushed to the washroom behind her. He held her long hair out of her face and gently rubbed her back, whispering soothing words to her. He reached up to the sink and grabbed a washcloth, then dampened it. Very slowly, the man pulled his wife into his arms and started to gently wash off her face. "It's okay, angel..." He whispered as he continued to softly pat her face with the washcloth.

"I... I'm sorry that I'm such an inconvenience..." Christine whispered, her face flushed from her sickness. She had woken up sick everyday for the past week. Christine sighed and rested her head against his chest, letting herself relax in his arms.

"Shh, mon ange... You're no inconvenience to me... You're my wife and I have no issue with taking care of you when you are not feeling well," Erik assured her, gently brushing back a few stray pieces of her curly hair off of her forehead.

A small smile formed on Christine's lips as she looked up at her husband. "Thank you, my love..." She whispered, weakly kissing his cheek.

Erik scooped her up in his arms and carried her back into their bedroom, laying her down on their bed and placing the comforters over her. "I think that I should go get a doctor... Maybe they'll be able to give you something to make you feel better..." He said and kissed her forehead.

Christine slowly nodded and sighed. "Alright, angel..." She complied.

"I'll be back with a doctor soon, just rest while I am gone," he smiled. He kissed her hand and slipped through the doorway of their bedroom.
                                    **
Not long afterwards, as he had promised, Erik came back into their abode with a doctor silently following behind.

The doctor walked in, past Erik, and to the bed where Christine was lying. "Hello, Mademoiselle Daaé," the man said politely, all the while setting his first-aid bag onto the bed.

"Actually, it is Madame Destler, but hello to you as well," she corrected, which earned a small smile from Erik.

The doctor nodded slightly, "Forgive me. What seems to be the problem, Madame?"

"Nausea, headache, fatigue, just things like that," she explained softly.

He nodded once again, "Alright... I'm just going to do a routine checkup and see if I can find anything wrong with you..." Starting to poke and prod at her with different tools that were stored in the medical bag, the man mumbled slightly to himself and wrote down certain things that he apparently thought important to note.

Very suddenly he began to ask her questions, "When did you say that this began?"

Christine's eyes widened slightly as she answered him, "Um, last week?"

The doctor wrote something down. "And in this past week has it been almost exclusively morning sickness?" He asks, his voice even and unreadable.

Christine looks up at Erik, who simply nods. She turns back to the doctor, "Yes, I believe so."

"When was the last time you had your womanly cycle?" He asks, his voice rather soft.

Christine clears her throat at the awkward question, "I - um - I suppose it was about a month and a half ago."

He remained silent for a moment, then, almost hesitantly, he spoke again, "And - forgive me for asking - but have you engaged in any sexual activities anywhere from a week to three weeks prior to your sickness beginning?"