XVII ~ Quieter Voices

{Bloom - The Paper Kites}

...When the evening pulls the sundown, and the day is almost through, oh the world, it is sleeping, but my world is you...

----

June 22nd

     In my wildest dreams, I wanted nothing more than to live in New York, in my own little apartment that I decorated myself to show the colours inside my mind. I wanted to live in a place with a view of the great skyline that would leave me breathless every morning when I would open my curtains to see the sun peeking over the buildings that touched heaven. A place that would leave me wanting more each night when the stars shone down and reflected on each streetlight as it twinkled in the city that never sleeps.

      I knew I belonged to a carefree life filled with stories and adventures. A life, unafraid of the expectations of my parents and free from the life already set in stone for me. I wanted to see the world, and build my life, and find people to be in my life and I in theirs. I craved independence. I craved to feel the world beneath my feet and know that I was walking on my own two feet and that if I fell, it would be up to me to pick myself back up. I wanted to find my wings and soar.

----

      A warm patch of sunlight soaked my skin, teasing me from my dream-filled slumber. Dust danced in the light that bathed me in a glow of the outside world. As my eyes adjusted to my surroundings, I felt my smile burst as I realised where I was.

      In Elliot's cabin.

     The candles that had burned to darkness in the hours and hours spent by them served as a reminder of the night spent in Elliot's arms as we fell asleep, his breathing steady as I lay my head on his chest, the rhythm of his heartbeat lulling me to sleep. I woke in a place I was happy waking up in. A place that I would always want to wake up in.

       Elliot lay next to me, his eyelids fluttering in his sleep, his face so peaceful and content as he lay beside me, the sheets covering us. My chest felt a surge of joy that was so intense I felt breathless. It was heady, intoxicating and almost addictive. My eyes took in every inch of him, unapologetic at getting the chance to really look at him. He was addictive. I couldn't tear my eyes away. My hand gently cascaded down his cheek, warm and soft. He was so perfect. I knew that he was like a drug to me. He had the power to make me powerless or invincible, and there was no amount of rehab or cures to fix what had begun in me. He was my drug, my fix, my escape. He was in my veins, and I was hooked.

    "Are you going to stare at me all morning or do you plan on getting up?" Elliot's low voice cut through the serenity of the silent room. His smirk was evident on his face, and yet his eyes remained closed while he stretched his long arms.

    "How could you possibly have known that I was staring?" I laughed in disbelief as I swatted his outstretched arm as it came too close to my face. Slowly his eyes opened groggily, and I kissed him good morning, my lips hovering over his teasingly before they softly collided.

     "I can sense these things, and hey, I wasn't complaining." Elliot winked, answering my question as he leaned up to kiss me again. 

     The feeling of his vulnerable, open kisses and my burning desire to feel my hands toying with his curly hair left me breathless as I complied with his request, his mouth moving with mine before pulled away smiling. As I turned away, placing my feet on the wood of the floor, I heard Elliot stretch once more, his eyes boring into the back of my head.

      After a moment, he spoke. "I could get used to this." Hearing the smile behind his husky tone, I rose from the bed as we both began to get ready for the day ahead, haphazardly bumping into one another as we rummaged for our shoes and jackets.