XXIV ~ Numbered Days

{Just Like A Child - James Morrison}

...I keep holding on to time, 'cause it moves so fast, keep believing in a dream, even though I know it won't last...

----

June 29th

         I was never very good at keeping secrets when I was younger. My mouth would always run off before my mind had a chance to catch up, and by then, it was always too late.

        Over that Summer at the Beaumont country club, I learned how to mould my face into a mask and hide behind the facade I outwardly showed to save the one thing I wanted to keep forever. I learned how to keep it all inside.

       I was finding happiness that had remained dormant within me for such a long time, and I was ready to let it overtake me. I was ready to love and be loved in return.

----

     The blinding summer sun shone down as all of the guests were lounging on the lawn, soaking up the sun that graced their skin with light, the spirits high and the music loud. There were swimmers in the lake, and nature walks, and even the club's employees were busy soaking up the constant sun that had covered the earth all Summer, drying the land. Had it not been for the extensive amounts of sprinklers on-site, the lawn would have looked nowhere near as luscious and green.

     My hair was pinned back from my face, saving me from the sweating that was inevitable in the merciless heat. Instead of sitting with my family who looked less than harmonious as they had set up their place on the lawn near the beer tent, which was probably Dad's doing, I was instead soaking my feet in the lake as the water lapped over my toes and around my ankles, cleansing me from the worry that emanated from every sweaty pore on my body.

  "You know, a girl like me really isn't cut out for this heat. All these curls? Made for cool temperatures and air-conditioned rooms, not waiting tables!" I heard Poppy speak behind me as her feet sloshed around in the water, as she made her way over to me.

     She was my age, if not a year or two younger. Her blonde curls completely and totally the biggest and one of the most beautiful features on her face and head. She was so effortlessly gorgeous, with a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon and eyes as sparkling as her personality.

    "Tell me about it; I'm about ready to evaporate at this stage," I giggled, fanning my face with my hands.

     She was dressed in her usual uniform, her eyes closed tightly as she let the sun soak her with its shine.

    "Yeah. I mean it sucks I have to work tonight, or I would be going for a late-night swim." Her eyes scanned the scene before her, filled with carefree swimmers as they splashed each other and moved gracefully through the glimmering water.

    "I've got a dance lesson with your brother later, or else I would join you," I smiled slightly, my lips curling up at the sides as I thought of tonight before it quickly faded, remembering the photo on Benjamin's phone, a perfectly innocent thought being tainted by his shocking actions.

    "God, don't you start." Her eyes rolled dramatically. "It's all he ever talks about. 'Ooh I taught Ava this new move today' and 'we were rehearsing all night, and now I can't stop thinking about her'. 'Oh Poppy she's so pretty', he's genuinely the most annoying brother ever."

    "Really? He said that?" I grabbed her arm excitedly, both of us squealing like girls at the thought of a guy being cute.

    "Well, more or less. He's such a sap," her smile faded slightly as Benjamin passed us, his parents following closely at his heel. He barely glanced in our direction, but my skin crawled even at the sight of him. After he had sauntered a far enough distance away, I felt her tug me close to her. "Elliot told me." She whispered, somewhat hurt by having to say it.