The Light Behind Your Eyes

Gerard's POV

"Daddy, you cheated!" Bandit said and crossed her arms. "The spinner was on a two but you moved it to a four!"

"I did not!" Okay, maybe I did move the spinner. But Bandit was all the way up at Princess Frostine's Castle and I was stuck at the gingerbread tree. 2 spaces won't matter. Unfortunately, my little trick wasn't going to get past her.

"Okay Bandit, you got me," I said, "I'll move back."

The phone rang. "I'LL GET IT!" I shouted and answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi! Is this Gerard Way?" A woman said over the phone.

"Um, yeah. This is Gerard."

"This is Mrs. Heverly, Violet's caseworker from the orphanage. I have some news." She said.

"Uh, is everything okay?"

"Sort of," She said, "Her biological father wants to see her."

Violet's POV

(A/N In case you forgot, Violet's "real" father's name is Colton)

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and looked at myself in the mirror. I've never been this nervous about anything. My biological father is coming. At first I didn't want to see him. He left me. He's part of the reason why my mother killed herself, why should I want to see him? But Gerard said I should give him a chance. I trust his judgement.

I heard a soft knock on the door, "Are you almost ready, Vi?" Gerard asked me.

"I'm ready," I said and opened the door.

Gerard pulled me into a hug, "You'll be okay. I promise." He murmured.

"They're here!" Lindsey shouted. We went downstairs and I saw my father for the first time in 8 years. He was exactly how I remembered him, but this brown hair was shorter. I grabbed Gerard's hand. I'm not sure exactly what told me I needed it, but something strong was building up inside of me. And I was terrified.

"Hello Violet," Colton said, "Do you remember me?"

I barely managed a nod. Gerard gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "You're doing great, sunshine." He whispered.

"Well, this is my wife Crystal." He said and gestured to the blond woman standing next to him.

Crystal waved, "Hi Violet."

"Hi." I mumbled.

So we talked with them for the next half an hour. Colton was an engineer and Crystal designed clothing for a living. They lived about 2 hours away. I stuck close to Gerard's side and tried to talk as little as possible.

"Violet, do you want to show Crystal the house while I talk with Gerard and Lindsey for a bit?" Colton asked me.

"Uh, sure."

Gerard's POV

"Violet is a lovely girl," Colton said, "You two are very lucky to have her as a part of your life."

"Yes, we are." Lindsey said and I nodded. I don't like where he's going with this.

"I'd love to get to know her more. We've been separated for 8 years and there isn't anything I want more than to become close to my daughter. I think the best way for that to happen is for Crystal and I to regain custody and have her live with us."

I felt the rage burn inside of me. Who the fuck does he think he is? He can't just tear Violet away from us because he's genetically related to her. Couldn't he see how uncomfortable she was? She is so goddamn terrified of him. How the hell does he not see that?

"No fucking way!" I snarled, "You can't take our daughter away!"

Lindsey shot me a disapproving glance. "I think what Gerard is trying to say, is that maybe we should give Violet a little more time to get to know you before we even think about adjusting her living arrangement." She said.

"I don't think you're seeing my perspective-" Colton started. I couldn't believe this. He was really fucking going there. Holy shit.

"Okay, I get it," I cut him off, "You've been looking for the daughter you left and now you finally found her. I can imagine how excited you are to get to know her. But a good relationship with Violet is going to take time, okay? Right now in her head you're the bad guy. You abandoned her."

"That was a long time ago." He interrupted me.

"It doesn't matter how long ago it was. The fact is, she still remembers. And she isn't going to let it go. Tearing her away from everything she loves is only going to reinforce the idea in her head that she can't trust you."

Colton looked shocked. "But-but..." He stammered.

The front door flew open and Violet and Crystal came into the den where we were talking. "I showed Crystal the house." Violet said. Get me the fuck out of here her face seemed to say.

"Violet, how would you like to live with me and Crystal?" Colton asked her.

All of the color drained from Violet's face. Her expression went from desperate to terrified. There was nothing I wanted more than to punch Colton's face in for fucking around with my daughter's emotions.

"D-Do I have to?" Violet sat next to me on the couch and squeezed my hand. Poor kid. I hate seeing her worked up like this.

"No sunshine, you don't have to," I reassured her, "It was just something we were talking about."

"Okay good," she said, "Because I don't want to."

"Alright Violet, that's fine." Colton said, "We can talk about this more next time we visit."

As soon as they left Violet buried her head in my chest and cried, "I was so scared," She sobbed, "I don't want to see him ever again!"

"You won't have to," I told her, "I'll make sure he never comes back." I kissed the top of her head and sang softly,

If I could be with you tonight
I would sing you to sleep
Never let them take the light behind your eyes
One day I'll lose this fight
As we fade in the dark
Just remember you will always burn as bright

I sang the rest of The Light Behind Your Eyes. My voice seemed to calm her down. She stopped crying. God, he better not come back. If he does there will be hell to pay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this one is pretty short, but there's some important shit happening. As always, feedback and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Ok bai

-Ash xxx