Napping Time

PE was starting and we all lined up outside. Karasuma-sensei was speaking.

"I want you to come at me again. This time one on one. If you can land a hit you can go home early. Yuuki you haven't done this before unlike your classmates."

"May I go first?" I received quizzical looks from a few people. "I like to learn first hand."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Nagisa with a worried look. A small smile crept it's way onto my face.

I step forward in a defensive stance. I hold my gaze on him solely. His breathing, his stance, his gaze, I watch for everything and anything. He heavily sighs and takes a defensive pose as well.

"You attack me. Not the other way around." I nodded fully aware of that.

"I know. Since you're so good why don't we step it up a notch."

I tossed aside the rubber knife away and revealed a knife from under my jacket.

His shoulders tensed slightly and his eyebrows twitched.

"I'd like to ask why you have a knife."

"You never know who you may run into now these days."

There was an uneasiness building up in my stomach. Thoughts of bashing a delinquent's skull open didn't help in the slightest.

I wanted to get this over with now. With unusual swiftness I attacked. I swung at his left shoulder knowing he'd dodge to the right.

Karasuma-sensei would most likely be testing us by staying out of our attack range. If we were left handed he'd dodge left and hide behind our arm. If we were right he'd dodge right. By doing this he would get out of the zone forcing the assassin to turn and face him. That would give him vital seconds which could determine life or death.

With my careful deduction I was able to match up my turn to his movement. My left hand concealing a second knife was seconds from connection to his abdomen. I was a fraction of a second to slow though. His hand caught my arm.

The next second my body roughly connected to the ground like a rag doll. It didn't hurt at first. Shock made sure of that. Then came the needles in my lungs.

"I'm sorry!" I heard Karasuma-sensei apologize.

I sat up coughing and wheezing. It may have not have been the first time having the wind knocked out of me, but it still was as uncomfortable as before.

"I'm fine." I spoke between small coughs. "How'd I do?"

I casted a glance at my classmates. Jaw after jaw was dropped. Awe and other emotions were mixed among them.

"That was awesome!"

My classmates burst into cheer and some hugged me.

"Where'd you learn to do that?!"

"You've been holding out on us!"

The swarm of compliments made my head swim. This is what I didn't want. I didn't want them fawning over me or trying to get to know me. But... I guess it was kinda nice being noticed once in a while.

"Yuuki-san that was well done. I'll have to be more careful next time." I received a compliment from Karasuma-sensei? "You can go home early as promised."