Chapter 8: Eclipses

A mini shoutout to my friend's friend who was able to get this awesome picture of the lunar eclipse that just happened last night (09-27-2015)!! Pretty darn cool... Anyways, enjoy the story!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

All I could feel the following morning was regret. Regret for drinking so much. Regret for throwing up. Regret for creating this hangover that felt like someone was smashing a brick against my head repeatedly. And it only got worse from there.

"Good morning, little bear," Barry announced teasingly as he walked into the room, his loud voice pounding against my eardrums and making the throbbing worse. I groaned and pulled a pillow over my head as I tried to block him out.

"Are you always this annoying to your hungover friends?" I mumbled against the mattress. I felt a weight flop down on the bed, and I assumed Barry had laid beside me.

"Some more than others," he admitted. "You're one of the lucky ones, I guess."

"Yay, I feel so honored," I said sarcastically with a roll of my eyes even though I knew he wouldn't be able to see it. He could probably imagine it, though, from the tone of my voice. Only a couple seconds in the silence passed before he spoke again.

"Do you wanna come downstairs?" Barry asked. "Joe made breakfast, and Iris is here, too. You can finally meet both of them. They already know the others down at STAR Labs."

I ducked out from under the pillow to look at him with a questioning glare. "Dressed like this?" I gestured to the sweatpants and shirt I was wearing. "They'll think I'm some crazy girl you found at the bar."

"I've already explained the situation to them," he stated with a wave of his hand. "They get it. They've both been there at some point in their lives." He paused a moment before continuing in a lower voice, "Just don't use your powers. Joe knows about the meta-humans and what I can do, but Iris needs to be kept in the dark for now."

I nodded my head. I was actually surprised that Joe knew about Barry's condition, but that would seem logical since they did live together. It would be kind of hard to hide a secret like that when you're around someone all the time. Still, he'd managed to keep it from his best friend in the world, Iris, which was a pretty impressive feat.

We got out of the bed a few minutes later, and I pulled my hair up in a bun in an attempt to look a little more presentable. Not that it would help much, but at least my hair wouldn't look too crazy. After cleaning up some of the smudged makeup on my face I followed Barry out of his room and down to meet the family.

It wasn't like it was anything that important, but I still felt nervous meeting them. I knew all about Barry's mother and father — he'd told me during the week he'd lost his powers — and Joe had become like another father figure to Barry. I felt that both Iris and Joe might be a little more protective of him, maybe, since he'd already gone through so much in life. I was afraid they'd be cold and indifferent when they met me.

However, as soon as we rounded the corner into the dining room I was instantly enveloped in a hug from the most happy girl in the world. I was too stunned for a moment to respond, but I eventually was able to give a quick hug back before she broke away to look at me.

"You must be Haven," she smiled. That girl had some perfect teeth, let me tell you. "Barry's told me so much about you, I feel like we've already met!"

"Has he?" I remarked as I gave the boy a sideways glance. Barry nervously scratched the back of his neck and avoided eye contact with me, and I had a rather hard time keeping my laugh from bursting out. I turned back to Iris and returned her smile. "Barry's told me a lot about you, too. I mean, it's probably only natural considering you're his best friend."