seven

a/n: I've got to do a lot of school stuff this week, and I'm taking the SAT again this Saturday (on my b'day sigh). So, yeah! There will probably be no update till Sunday :(

Calum couldn't actually believe his own luck. A new tattoo and a date? This year was really turning out to be a good one.

He was going to take Luke to a restaurant that was rather small, but really cute. He wanted, of course, to make a good impression on the blond. He wanted this date to be the first of many others.

Adjusting the collar of his shirt, Calum ran a hand through his hair once more, looking at himself in the mirror in the hallway near the front door. He grabbed his keys off the hanger, the bouquet of flowers off the counter, and looked over to where his dog, Sally, was sitting. "I'll be back in a bit, Sally!" Calum smiled at her, scratching behind her ear, before stepping out of the apartment. He made sure it was locked, and left.

He was originally going to take his car, but he found out that Luke didn't live too far, and he liked to walk, anyways. And so, he headed off, his free hand in his pockets to keep it from running through his hair one too many times.

Soon enough, Calum was in front of Luke's house. It was a small light blue house with not much of a front yard, but he assumed there was a backyard. He climbed up the two steps to the front door and rang the bell, standing back a bit and smoothing out the front of his grey shirt.

A few seconds later, the door opened to reveal Luke standing there, a shy smile on his face. He was nibbling at his lip ring, and Calum was quite happy to see that he, too, was wearing a dress shirt, but had rolled up the sleeves.

"Hey," Calum greeted the blond, extending out the flowers. "I got these for you."

Luke's cheeks tinted pink as he took the colourful flower from the brunet. "Oh, uh, thank you," he answered. "I wasn't expecting this."

Calum just grinned toothily. "I hope you like them."

"I do." Luke nodded, before stepping aside. "You might as well come in. I don't have my shoes on yet and I need to put these in water. Just..." He looked around before sighing. "Don't mind the mess."

"I'm sure it's fine," Calum told him, entering the house. On the floor to his left were tiny pairs of shoes, placed haphazardly in a line along the wall. Then, at the end of the line were much, much bigger shoes. It was a sweet sight, for lack of a better word.

"It's a cute place, Hemmings," Calum pointed out as he looked at the hallway walls. There wasn't much on them save for some drawings and one framed photo.

Calum followed Luke into the kitchen, where the blond reached up and pulled down a glass from one of the top shelves. He took a seat at the centre counter watched as Luke filled the tall glass with water before carefully placing the unwrapped bouquet into it. Calum allowed himself a smile upon seeing Luke's smile at the flowers.

"Alright, they should be fine. Hopefully they'll last till Monday, the girls would love them."

"I hope they do," Calum agreed.

Luke put on his shoes quickly and the two of them left, walking side by side a little awkwardly down the sidewalk. Calum didn't know what to say, and apparently, neither did Luke.

Or, so Calum thought. After a few minutes, the blond spoke up. "So, Calum, how long have you been a teacher?"

Calum chuckled. "Straight out of college, so I'd say this is my 10th year teaching." He noticed Luke's surprised expression and added, "It's all I've ever wanted to do. I love it, honestly."