Chapter 5

I spent hours unfolding and separating the contents of my two boxes. I then spent hours folding the clothes and switching them with my old clothes. The sun was setting by the time I finished.
----
A knock from the door rang through the house. A loud chime followed it.

"Mason! I have to get the door! Get off me!" I wrestled underneath Mason while he laid on top of me. I took a deep breath and shoved, finally pushing him off me. I ran to the door, opening just as a woman was about to ring the doorbell again.

"Hello. How can I help you?" The woman smiled brightly and shoved a basket in my direction before starting.

"Hello Sweetie! I'm Melanie White, but you can call me Mrs. White. Is your mother home?" I shook my head no. "Alrighty then. You should come over today. I live right next door. We'll have some tea and you can meet my children. My son is around your age. See you in an hour?" I tried my best to not let my mouth gape in horror.

"Of course. We'll see you in an hour." I closed the door quickly before she continued to talk. I studied the basket in my hand, both regular food and deserts. Jackpot.

I rushed up the stairs and told everyone that we were going next door in an hour. I then rushed back to my room and got dressed in some better clothes.
----
I heard an intricate ringing of bells as my finger left the small button. I felt the bodies behind me as the six of us squished onto the porch.

The door flew open and Mrs. White almost jumped off the ground when she saw all six of us. She plastered on a smile and looked at me only.

"You're here! Wonderful! And just in time, the water just came off the stove." She was halfway through turning back into the house when she turned back towards me. "I never quite got your name."

"Annabella." She mouthed the name before taking a deep breath.

"Well that's a mouthful. Isn't it?" I smiled tightly before following her gesture to come in. She led us through the foyer to a sitting room. A tea set was on the coffee table, and Mrs. White poured water into the cups with tea bags while we tried to fit onto the furniture. As everyone settled two young boys dashed through the room, almost knocking Mrs. White over.

"Those are my sons. Jake and Andreas. They're so sweet. Who are these people you brought with you?" Judgement dropped through her voice, ready to take this information and probably give it to another snobby mother.

"Well this is my brother," I set a hand on Toby, who sat in the chair who's armrest I was on. "And this is his band. Cecilie, Mason, Noel, and Cameron. They've been friends for about eight years." The excitement left Mrs. White's eyes as she handed me a cup of tea. Obviously that wasn't the story she was hoping for.

"Hey! Aunt Mel, who's here?" Lo and behold, pretty boy, with a shiner right where I punched him. I had to elbow Toby when he chuckled while everyone hid their laughter, including me. He recognized me in seconds, and fought to not show it.

"Annabella! This is my best friend's son, Caleb. His little sister is bound to be somewhere around here." I smirked, finally having a reason for Pretty Boy, or should I say, Caleb, to stop calling me Cupcake.

"It's nice to meet you Caleb." His "aunt" glanced between us.

"Nice to meet you too, Annabella." We both faked smiles as Mrs. White shimmied her shoulders in between us.

"Do I sense a relationship if the rise?" My jaw dropped as Caleb scolded Mrs. White. I quickly set my tea back on the tray and took a glance at the clock.

"Oh my goodness! Guys you have a gig!" I lied. "I'm sorry Mrs. White, but we have to go. Hopefully we can do this again, but just you and me." Another lie. "Goodbye." I pulled everyone to their feet and ushered the group out from where we came.

The boys giggled as we walked across the lawn. Toby rushed up to the door and unlocked it. We rushed in and closed the door behind us before bursting with laughter. The boys made comments about how oblivious Mrs. White was about Caleb's black eye.

"That lady needs to learn where to put her opinion." Everyone cackled at Sissy's comment. I hopped over Mason who was rolling on the floor and went up to my room. I collapsed on the bed with laughter and clutched my teddy bear.

My fun was interrupted by a knock on the window. I set my bear down and strolled to the glass panes separating my neighbor and I. I unlocked the window with a twist and pushed them open.

"What do you want?" I leaned on the frame, ready for anything.

"Sorry about my mom's friend. She moved in about six months ago and is a bit, forward." I snorted, Caleb giving me a weird look. "So, Annabella, I was wondering-"

"Okay, do not call me Annabella. That name isn't even used when I'm in trouble. Call me Anna, or Bella, or any variation of my name you choose." Caleb made a thoughtful face, as if he were choosing a name to call me.

"Hey Bellsie! Who you talking to in there?" I widened my eyes in alarm when I realized Caleb heard what Toby called me.

"Yeah Bellsie," Caleb mimicked. "Who you talking to in here?" I huffed before stomping over to the door and swinging it open, startling Toby.

"Thanks for ruining my life." Toby looked past me at Caleb, who gave a small wave from the window. Toby made an 'o' with his mouth when he realized what I was talking about.

"I did, didn't I? Well, now you're picking what's for dinner!" I laughed at his jazz hands and shoved him fully out of my room, shutting the door behind him. I strolled casually back to the window, leaning back onto the frame.

"So Caleb, what were you wondering?"