Chapter 8

Four uneventful weeks passed. Adam and I became good friends. I would help him with his homework, he would give me a place to sit at lunch. I'd gotten used to the steady rhythm of everyday life. But it all changed on the day Toby and his friends had to go back to school.

Everything was pretty much okay. Sure, I was a little sad, but I was dealing. I was dealing until the girl in the cheerleading uniform showed up next to my locker after sixth period.

"You know he's just trying to get in your pants, right?" I grabbed a notebook and shut my locker.

"Who are you talking about?" The cheerleader and her minions laughed.

"Adam, obviously. I see the way he looks at you. Its the way he looked at me sophomore year," she said with a flourish of her hand. "He just wants to get in your pants." I turned a corner and she continued to walk with me.

"I sincerely doubt that. He knows that I'm not looking for a relationship." They laughed again. The cheerleader stopped in front of me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Sweetie, who said anything about a relationship? I said he wants to get in your pants. Whether that means friends with benefits or one night stand I'm not sure, but he's not looking for a relationship either." I rolled my eyes and tried to walk past her, but she grabbed my elbow. "I'm telling you this so you can protect yourself.  Or so you can make it clear that you want him. Either way, now you know."

She let go of my arm. I walked away, almost reaching my class when she was at my side again.

"And by the way, I'm Claire." She held a hand out for me to shake.

"Anna." I shook her hand and quickly walked into my classroom.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about what she said. Could I trust her? Why did she care? If she was telling the truth, why would Adam think he had a chance, knowing my past?

When I got home, all I wanted to do was cuddle my teddy bear. I got to my room but saw he wasn't on the bed where I left him. I searched everywhere in my room, seeing him nowhere. Fear coursed through my veins, but then I noticed my window was open a tiny crack. My fear turned to anger and I reached out my window and started banging on Caleb's. He quickly came and pulled his windows open.

"Where's Mr. Snuggle-Wuggle-Bear?" Caleb furrowed his eyebrows. "My teddy bear! What did you do with my teddy bear?"

"What are you talking about?" I grinded my teeth and gripped tightly on the window frame.

"You stole my teddy bear. That is what I'm talking about. Give him back." Caleb chuckled.

"Even if I did have your teddy bear, which I don't, why should I give him back to you?"

"Because if you don't I'll give you another black eye then cut off your hair while you sleep." Caleb shot a hand up to his hair.

"You're bluffing."

"Try me!" He slammed his window shut and locked it before pulling the curtain across. I did the same to mine before beginning to pace. After formulating a plan of revenge, I rushed out of the house and bought the necessary supplies.
----
The sun set and I knew it was time. I watched through my window as Caleb turned his light off and got into bed. I shut my curtain and changed into a full black outfit, completed by shoving my hair into a black beanie. I double-checked that everything in the bag was ready for use before sneaking down the stairs and out of the house.

I watched the windows as I walked along the sidewalk to Caleb's driveway. The bag rattled slightly as I crept up his driveway to the backyard, where a tarp covered his motorcycle.

It took a while, but when the paint and glue was all dried, a pulled the tarp back over the bike and rushed back to my own house.

Once I was in my own room, I looked out the window to see Caleb asleep in his bed. Another idea popped into my mind.

I climbed out my window and crouched on the roof under his. I pulled my old library card out of my pocket and slid it between the two panels, working it up until it undid the latch holding the windows closed. They opened quietly and I crawled into his room. Then the search began.

I quietly looked over, under, and inside every part of his room for my teddy bear. I was about to look under the bed when I saw Mr. Snuggle-Wuggle-Bear. He was in Caleb's arms.

"Are you kidding me?" I reached over Caleb's body, trying to see if I could pull the bear free. He snuggled the bear closer, but didn't wake up. I turned back to his room and started looking for another way to get my bear back.

I noticed a toy doll on the floor in the hallway. I stepped out to get a closer look, seeing more in a room across the hall.

I walked into the room, holding the doll from the hall in my hand. I saw a little girl sleeping on a bed in the corner, with hair the same color as Caleb's. I grabbed a stuffed cat from a shelf and placed the doll in its place.

"Who are you?" I quickly looked at the girl. She was sitting up, staring at me. I rushed to the side of her bed.

"I'm the, uh, I'm the tooth fairy." She furrowed her eyebrows.

"But I didn't lose any teeth." I smiled and helped her lay back down.

"I know. I just came because, because," I looked down at the stuffed cat in my hand, "because someone who lost a tooth could really use a cat to cuddle, and I was hoping I could borrow yours." The little girl smiled.

"Will I get it back?" I smiled as another idea came to mind.

"Yes. But for now, how about I give you my hat, and I'll come get it when I bring the cat back?" The little girl nodded. I took my hat off and let my hair fall to my waist. She looked on in disbelief.

"Your hair is blue!" I nodded and placed my hat in her hands.

"I'm the tooth fairy. Now, go back to sleep, and you'll have your cat back in the morning." She closed her eyes and I rushed out of the room. I quietly went back into Caleb's room and stood at the side of his bed.

I positioned the cat right under Mr. Snuggle-Wuggle-Bear's feet. I slowly shoved it into his arms and pulled my teddy bear out of them. After a little while of doing that, I freed my teddy bear.

I tip-toed back across the hall and grabbed my hat from the little girl before climbing out of Caleb's window and closing it behind me.

I changed into pajamas before crawling into bed, satisfied with my revenge.