Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Cheryl’s POV

“And that is the end of this week’s X Factor. Tune in for more, next week!”

Finally! I’m able to go back to my dressing room and avoid the cameras for a minute. You would’ve thought it’d get easier over time to force out a smile when you’re feeling miserable, but really it’s just gotten harder and harder over the past few weeks.

Kimberley Walsh from Girls Aloud, back with ex-boyfriend Justin! Pictures of their intimate dinner!” Why did I have to even glance over those stupid magazines?! Ruined my day. Though, to be fair, there hasn’t been much to ruin lately.

There’s a knock on the door and Simon lets me know I have 20 minutes before I need to be ready. Stupid after-party. Well, alright, it’s for charity… but I’m so not in the mood to make pleasant conversation. I quickly change into a black and white mini-dress and fix my hair and makeup. I’m not planning to stay long, just the judges’ entrance into the privately rented ballroom, a few drinks and I’ll be off… to bed… alone… again.

Simon, Louis, Danni and I finally arrive at the hotel, paparazzi snapping our picture as we walk in. Just as we’re about to step into the lift that takes us up to the top floor ballroom, the doors open and I raise my head only to be met by a horrendous sight.

Justin and Kimberley.

In the split seconds it takes them to turn to walk out the lift, I hear the last of their conversation.

“Justin, please! I can’t be here!”

“I just don’t understand…” Justin doesn’t get to finish his sentence as Kimberley turns to walk out but is stopped in her tracks as she looks straight into my eyes.

There’s an explosion of greetings as Simon, Louis, Danni and Justin all notice each other at the same time. Kimberley and I simply stare at each other. Nobody seems to notice our coldness towards each other except for Justin who eyes Kimberley quizzically for a moment.

“Kimberley darling, you’re not leaving are you?” I’d forgotten Simon’s fondness of my former girlfriend and instantly regret ever allowing the two to bond.

Let her leave… I’d rather not be in the same room as the happy reunited couple, thank you very much. Although… at the same time I can’t tear my eyes away from her. She looks stunning in a long black dress, showing off her gorgeous curves.

Kimberley’s inability to answer leaves Justin to turn to Simon and answer.

“Well… I took Kimberley here as a birthday surprise after dinner… but she… erm… I think… erm… we’re good to go” Justin lamely covers up Kimberley’s obvious wish to be far away from any place I’ll be at.

“Good to go? It hasn’t even started. You can’t go now. Come on, let’s travel up together”. Kimberley’s eyes get big as she probably realises what an awkward situation that would be, and finally opens her mouth.

“No no no… Simon honestly” she smiles nervously, avoiding my eyes. “I have to get up early in the morning… and…” she pauses, finding the right excuse. If I wasn’t desperately hoping she would come up with one, it would be quite a comical situation. 

“And... you could at least stay for a drink, catch up with your best friend…” Simon’s hand gestures at me and I’m temporarily frozen, until he continues in a sarcastic tone “you know… me”. He winks at me and I try my hardest to force out a genuine smile. However, Justin’s frown tells me I’ve failed.

“Plus, I don’t think you want to face the millions of paparazzi out there. They could write all sorts of nonsense about why you’re leaving this party early”. Although Simon doesn’t realise it, I know he’s just brought Kimba the deciding factor. Anything but have people find out there’s a feud between two girls aloud members. They might even start guessing as to what happened. Why Cheryl and Kimberley were so close all of a sudden, only to, just as suddenly, never be seen together again. It almost sounds like a break-up…

Kimberley forces a smile at Simon and takes some steps backwards into the lift.

“You’re right, might as well stay… for charity”.

Again, Justin narrows his eyes at Kimberley, obviously not understanding her unexpected change of attitude.

We walk into the lift and stand on the opposite wall, leaving nowhere for me to look except at the happy new couple.

Justin looks at Kimberley sideways and strokes her arm, wanting her to look back. She does, and he tilts his head, silently asking her if she’s okay. She gives him a slight nod. The whole lovable scene making me feel nauseous.