The Fire

Want the audio version? Simply click on the image of "The Forest" book above to listen to me narrate this chapter!

Also...as you read (or listen) feel free to leave your own comments, thoughts and suggestions, and I promise to reply.

Finally, press the star button to vote for this chapter if you like it!

----------

The largest Kateawan bellowed a large grunt, held its spear high, and pointed upward in the direction of the thick support rope that suspended the snare from several overhead trees.

One of the Kateawan behind the leader nodded, placed the handle of its spear between its giant jaws, moved with two large strides to the base of one tree, leapt - like an ape - nearly eight feet, wrapped its arms and legs around the trunk, and shimmied up close to the support rope.

The Kateawan then grabbed the spear from between its teeth and swung it toward the rope. Terran gritted his teeth and braced himself for what he suspected would happen next. But the spear blade seemed dull. A few strands of the rope snapped loose, and the entire snare creaked for a moment, then stayed suspended. The Kateawan frowned, pulled the spear loose, and swung again.

Somewhere behind him, Terran heard Tink half-whimper half-grumble. "This could hurt, boys."

Several more strands snapped, but the snare still remained aloft. The two smallest Kateawan on the ground now both let out loud amused howls, pointing up while grinning and flashing their crooked teeth at their frustrated companion up in the tree.

The larger Kateawan looked down and let out an annoyed growl, then swung the spear once more.

Then, just as quickly as the snare had sprung, the entire thick rope snapped.

As the ground approached with lightning-speed, Terran saw a blur of green, brown and tangled ropes, then everything went black.

----------

Terran woke to a strong, overpowering and very unpleasant odor: a blend of sweat, rotting meat, and the skin of something not bathed or washed in much too long a time. He was on his back, both arms trapped under him and both hands bound by what felt like a very thick, leather shoelace. It felt as though some kind of hard wooden slatting was underneath him. Pins and needles radiated up and down his hands and fingers from trapped nerves. He opened one eye, and immediately saw Tink lying on his left, staring back at him. Tink's hands were bound also, with his arms trapped below him. The elf scrunched his nose and whispered, "Smells like a wet dog rolled in cow manure, hey?"

Terran didn't reply. He looked to his right. River lay there on his back, his chest slowly moving up and down, both eyes open, staring upward at a wooden ceiling nearly eight feet above them, where rays of sun were trickling into the room through large gaps in the roof. Terran's eyes shifted to two large, purple bruises on River's forehead. "You OK, brother?"

River blinked and took a deep breath as though mentally scanning his body for injuries. He slowly nodded. But his eyes remained fixed on the ceiling, still wide in a concerned gaze. Terran looked up toward where River was staring.

Three small skulls were hanging above them, their eerie hollow eye cavities slowly moving side-to-side as the draft coming through the holes in the ceiling blew the skulls in tiny circles.

Just like nasty air fresheners, Terran thought, as he narrowed his eyes, trying to determine if the bones were actually human.

Tink shifted uncomfortably on the hard wooden slats, trying to free his hands. "I'm fine, too. Thanks for asking. Let's get free, before there's six skulls hanging up there."