A Curious Situation

"We're home!" Kevin called into the wide open house. Ivan had never seen anything like this before. Everything was so white, crisp, and clean. Even the therapist's office from the asylum wasn't this nice.

"In the kitchen," a woman's voice carried from around the corner.

"After you," Kevin motioned toward an arch that branched from the entryway. Taking a few cautions steps forward and the little boy found himself in a huge room with a counter, a silver fridge which he'd never seen anything like before, a stove and several appliances sitting about. This was much more interesting to him than the woman standing in the middle of it all, for he didn't even notice her until she spoke.

"Ah! Hello!" the woman bounced over in front of Ivan and knelt down in front of him. For some reason, he didn't even flinch. "I'm Rosemary. It's an honor to have you."

"Honor to be here, Ma'am." Ivan whispered and tipped his head, but his face never changed, only his eyes stayed glued to Rosemary now.

"Ha, you are too cute. One moment while I go get the boys." Rosemary scampered around the corner through one of the unexplored doorways.

"Do you like it? He's been practicing for months," Kevin smiled proudly and sat down in a stool at the island, moving his fingers and hands to a rhythm. Ivan watched him move in seemingly random sequences.

"Like what?" he asked, tipping his head to the side.

"The song." Ivan didn't answer. Instead he turned to the doorway through which Rosemary had escaped and searched for the woman. He found her leaning against a violin, watching a boy with dark bronze hair. What the boy was doing with the violin, Ivan could not understand.

He stalked around the boy's back and watched him scratch the strings with a polished stick-looking object. Only when he saw this did he recognize the music that had been playing during the car ride.

"How curious..." The boy who'd been playing the violin jumped out of the seat and turned quickly, his eyes wide and his demeanor threatened.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." The cold voice that Ivan possessed swept past the first kin to a smile he'd had since Kevin had picked him up. A smirk still counts.

Next chapter will be killer, promise. As always, comment for a peek at the next chapter (you know you want to...).