Finn

"Keep moving." The guard said. I stumbled after him. 

"But I have questions." I gasped for air. 

"Ask me later, save your breath."

After what seemed like an hour of straight out jogging, the guard finally slowed to a stop. "We're here."

The house was huge. It was made entirely out of brick and windows wore red shutters, which were mostly broken. A large amount of noise was coming from inside. There must be a lot of people in there. I thought

"So, what's your name again?" I asked as I caught my breath. 

"Peter." He said.

"How many people are in that house?"

"I don't know, twenty five, thirty." He guessed. "Something like that." 

"How do you take care of so many people?" 

"Well, everyone pitches in." Peter explained. "Some people will make food one day and then the other day they'll do the laundry." I nodded without saying a word as Peter took out several keys and started to unlock the door.

The noise sent an avalanche my way. The smell of brownies filled my nose. Dogs barked. 

"Everyone!" Peter yelled. "Stop what you're doing."

Some people looked our way, but most of them continued to do what ever it was they were doing.

"Hey!" Peter yelled even louder.

The buzz calmed down.

"We have a new person joining us today." Everyone was paying attention now.

"Say hi to Ava Ray." Peter said. People frowned.

"Isn't she that girl on the news?" An middle aged brunette woman asked. "Didn't she kill that Tim guy?"

"Tom." A person from the back of the room piped up.

"Well I don't want a murderer around my son." She humphed.

"No, no, but she didn't kill him, she was framed." Peter told her.

"How do you know?" The woman glared. She slid her arm across a boy who looked about my age. 

He had messy brown hair that fell over his forehead. He moved away from her. "Stop it, mom." He said. His mother dragged him back to her arms with a tighter grip. He squirmed until he gave up.

After a long silence, the oven began to beep. "Brownies are ready." Said a young and very pretty African American woman. 

"Wait for me, Kimberly." A man said. Kimberly took her friend's hand and walked into another room. They both looked very in love. I smiled.  

"Hi." Someone said. I whirled around. It was the protective lady's son. 

"Hi." I waved a very small wave.

"I'm Finn King, sorry about my mom, she does that sometimes." He said.

"It's okay, my mom does that, too." I laughed, then felt very sad, knowing I wouldn't see my mother is a very long time. "Where's your mom, now?" He asked.

"Oh, you know, back at home." 

He nodded. "Well, I'll show you around and introduce you to some people."

"Thanks." I said. I felt warm all of a sudden.

After walking down a few halls and climbing some stairs, Finn said, "It isn't that bad here."

I looked at him.

"When me and my mom first got here, we hated it, but you learn to love it here." He said. "It's our home now."

"I just don't know when I'll ever see my parents again." I croaked.

"It's okay, Ava." We started moving again. I was purposely walking closer to him than necessary. Then I realized something crazy.

I liked Finn King.