3. Reasonable Doubt

"Did you see his face?" Booth asked to break the silence they were in, waiting for the elevator to get out of there.

"Yes. He didn't seem to want to believe us."

"He was just shocked that we weren't always perfect, that's all."

The elevator doors opened and they went in. She let him press the button because she knew how much he liked it.

Going to Sweets had served no purpose. Maybe Booth hadn't read the whole book. Maybe he had skipped the part where a trained psychologist concluded they were in love with each other. She was convinced he would have brought it up first thing. Booth did not like to be told how he felt. Especially when it wasn't true. Could it be that...

She shifted her weight on her feet and averted his eyes.

"I hadn't thought about our first case in a very long time. And... although I remember it, I can't quite believe it either."

Booth focused on the panel in front of him to put that specific night out of his head. He remembered everything. But not enough.

"I guess I... never apologized to you," he said.

She looked at him before looking down.

"You made up for it over time, I think."

He waited. She didn't, so he asked,

"Aren't you gonna apologize?"

The doors opened.

"I'm sorry I threw my beer in your face," she said before exiting into the underground parking lot.

"And?" he said, following her, although his car was not near hers at all.

"And... I'm sorry I slapped you?" she guessed.

He watched her unlock her car and open the door. She shielded herself by standing behind it.

"That's it?" he pressed on.

She capitulated.

"I guess I wasn't that nice to you either."

"Nope," he smiled. It wasn't an apology, but it was close enough.

"You know..." She fumbled with her key chain. "You were right."

"Of course I was. About what? About you wanting me?"

He had meant that as a joke. Or he thought he did. But he saw her blush, and he knew he was almost there. Because Dr. Temperance Brennan was not one to blush over sexual matters.

"Well y... Back then... It was different. But I didn't hate you."

"You did a pretty good job pretending you did."

"I did feel threatened by you."

She understood how better off they were, never having slept together. They probably wouldn't have the relationship they had now, otherwise. Yet, she couldn't help but fantasize. If that kiss were any indication, it would have been incredibly passionate.

"Do you think that if w..."

He jumped on her choice of words immediately.

"You never do 'what ifs'," he pointed out.

And he was right. Of course. But...

"If I hadn't thrown my beer in your face..."

"You mean, if I hadn't acted like a giant jackass?"

"Yes. Do you think we would have..."

He interrupted her again. Why was he refusing to talk about this?