8. Benefit of Assumption

Brennan looked at the time on the bottom of her computer screen. She had arrived at work 2 hours earlier than usual, but people should start arriving soon. He would be here soon.

She heard Angela before she saw her. And when she did finally see her in the entrance of her office, Brennan lost her smile. Angela looked... mad.

"I can't believe this!" she spat out.

Was she playing mad or was she actually furious? Brennan didn't know the difference. She got up from her chair.

"Look, Angela, I know it's surprising, but I assure you there will be no repercussions at work. It..."

"What? No! That is not surprising. For anyone. I'm talking about you telling Cam before me! I'm hurt."

"W... I tried you first. You weren't picking up. I'm sorry?"

"You better be." Angela's features brightened up, losing the pretend anger. She squealed, threw her arms in the air and hugged her best friend so tightly she lost her breath.

"Whoa. Ok..."

Brennan patted her back, stiff as a board.

The artist put both her hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye.

"Are you happy?" she asked.

Well, the fact that upon hearing the word, Brennan instantly tried to hide a smile was a pretty good indicator.

"You are. You're so happy!" Angela stated. And she breathed in, getting teary-eyed.

Brennan looked down, chuckling, and as she looked back up, her heart skipped a beat and set a chain reaction in her insides. He was standing in the doorway, with the most adorable cocky smile on his face. He was half an hour earlier than usual. And he had brought coffee.

Angela, oblivious to the new set of ears around, started talking again.

"So! I've waited almost 5 years to finally be able to ask you... Is he as good in bed as he is in your books?"

Agape, Brennan blushed. She never should have confessed to Angela that Andy was indeed Booth. He would never shut up about it now. Ever. She shut her eyes, embarrassed, and jerked her chin once so that Angela looked behind her own shoulder.

"Oh, hey, big man! It's about time!" she said, walking up to him and kissing him on the cheek. She turned back to Brennan. "It's ok. You can answer me later, sweetie." She winked and she left them alone. Oh, but before she left, she made sure Booth noticed she lost her smile. She squinted threateningly and motioned two fingers from her eyes to his face. Twice. I'm watching you. You better be careful.

"Hi," she greeted him softly as soon as Angela walked away.

"Hi."

"You're here early," she pointed out.

"Yeah... I thought you'd like some coffee."

Among other things.

"Thanks." She took the one he was handing her and set it on her desk. "Is this a new case?" she asked, pointing to the folder he had pinned under his arm.

"Yes!" he said, as he had just remembered. "Body found in a pizza oven." He handed her the case file and stepped closer. And closer as she started to skim through it. He was suddenly reading over her shoulder, his cheek almost against hers. She looked towards him out of the corner of her eyes and smirked. She held the file a little higher.

"Didn't you read it before?" she asked.

"No, I did. It just didn't smell as good."

She chuckled, spun around and tilted her head.